Very very slow internet and frequent downtime's...
skyemperor

This is my first complaint and I can't take it anymore. My internet never reaches 768 Kbps to 1 Mbps. I ordered the "fast plan." I have a wireless modem and the internet ports are directly connected to the Verizon modem box. I have two desktop computers connected to the box and 1 laptop that uses the wireless function. There is a password set on the modem so neighbors cannot access it anyways. My internet download speed has always been from 20 Kbps to 130 Kbps. Sometimes, it's slow and sometimes it has been "okay, I can live with this speed." I remember when I first had the service installed it was quick and smooth. Now, it's been horrible for months. I live in Flushing, New York. I'm not sure how many people in my neighborhood also use Verizon but it should not effect my connection. Usually, I'm the only one on the computer and it's still crazy slow almost as worst as when I used dial-up. I have not tampered with the Verizon modem box in anyway. It's only when the Internet light on the modem is not on, then I have to turn it on and off, which usually takes from 30 minutes to 3 hours for it to be back on. The downtimes are extremely annoying and happens occasionally after 7pm to 3 am. I sleep when my patience ends. I have the Verizon 7500 modem. I have went to the website http://www.verizon.net/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_contentDisplay&objId=42865 for assistance. But, it does not tell me why my internet  speed is this slow. Also, I did some research and went to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600 but I do not use ethernet.

I've been trying to get a hold of customer service for weeks but instead it's always the robot talking to me. If anyone can help me fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

0 Likes
Re: Very very slow internet and frequent downtime's...
Techrookie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I live in Flushing as well and the DSL service has been going downhill for some time. I have the 3Mbps plan and at first my speed was pretty close to that but nowadays it's barely over 2 most of the time and slower than that usually. In the evenings sometimes it's so slow that I just give up waiting for pages to load. I know they are working on putting FIOS in the area (I saw the trucks and spoke to the guys doing the work) but no one can tell me when it will be available where I am. When my contract is up next month I will probably leave Verizon unless FIOS is ready. I realize this doesn't really help you but it should give you an idea of what you are up against. Good luck!

0 Likes
CVILLE11

Coatesville, PA

My internet is slow as well, first night after installation was fast after that it went downhill.  I have 25/25 mbps and it takes me 25-30 to download a 702 mb file. My previous was up to 20 mbps and i was downloading 702 mb files in 9-15 min.  calling verizon today, so far my exeperience has been horrible.

0 Likes
Ruvicha
Enthusiast - Level 1

You are not alone.  I'm in Northern Virginia.  Page load times have been horrible for the last two weeks.  Others in my office who live in different parts of the area are experiencing the same wrteched load times. Thought maybe robocalls for the election were clogging the circuits but the election is over and the service is still appallingly slow.  Maybe Verizon's rush to install FIOS -- or compel us all to buy it just to get decent service -- is to blame.   If this continues, though, we'll be calling the cable guy in the very near future.. 

0 Likes
skyemperor

My internet speed @ speedtest.com shows 25kbps download speed and 9kbps upload speed. This is just super slow. It makes me sad. I cannot even load a page without waiting 28 seconds. A simple website page takes forever. No, I do not have any spyware, adware, viruses, trojans in my computer. I scanned my computer with Norton 360. It's the Verizon network at fault. I'm already thinking of switching service providers. Verizon has made my first impression went down hill a long time ago. It's better to have no service than slow service. I can just go to the library and use the internet there, then come back home and find that the internet light is off. Verizon is a joke and it's pathetic. Get your act together please! I want the service that I paid for. Not some dial-up where I can get for free.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@skyemperor wrote:

This is my first complaint and I can't take it anymore. My internet never reaches 768 Kbps to 1 Mbps. I ordered the "fast plan." I have a wireless modem and the internet ports are directly connected to the Verizon modem box. I have two desktop computers connected to the box and 1 laptop that uses the wireless function. There is a password set on the modem so neighbors cannot access it anyways. My internet download speed has always been from 20 Kbps to 130 Kbps. Sometimes, it's slow and sometimes it has been "okay, I can live with this speed." I remember when I first had the service installed it was quick and smooth. Now, it's been horrible for months. I live in Flushing, New York. I'm not sure how many people in my neighborhood also use Verizon but it should not effect my connection. Usually, I'm the only one on the computer and it's still crazy slow almost as worst as when I used dial-up. I have not tampered with the Verizon modem box in anyway. It's only when the Internet light on the modem is not on, then I have to turn it on and off, which usually takes from 30 minutes to 3 hours for it to be back on. The downtimes are extremely annoying and happens occasionally after 7pm to 3 am. I sleep when my patience ends. I have the Verizon 7500 modem. I have went to the website http://www.verizon.net/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_contentDisplay&objId=42865 for assistance. But, it does not tell me why my internet  speed is this slow. Also, I did some research and went to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600 but I do not use ethernet.

I've been trying to get a hold of customer service for weeks but instead it's always the robot talking to me. If anyone can help me fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

If you do not use Ethernet, what do dou use..

a) USB?

b) OR Wireless?

0 Likes
MrsGKRIII

I live in southeast Virginia. I have had issues with my Verizon DSL on and off for almost 2 years. At first I had just one desktop connected via Ethernet cable. I then added another desktop and two laptops that are wireless. Since day one I have had issues with the speed and connection. I called tech support and the issue is resolved for maybe a couple of weeks. The last time I called, which was yesterday, they said they couldn't find anything wrong, yet my connection is constantly dropped. It doesn't matter if there's one pc turned on or all four, the same issue is present. The modem I have is the 7500, which has been replaced twice. Both splitters have been replaced as well as the phone lines going to both land line phones. They also replaced the line going from the pole to my house and the line going from the outside box to the phone jack inside where the modem is connected. This still has not resolved the issue. We don't have any other Verizon services available here (according to Verizon's web site) and we don't have the extra monthly income to afford switching to cable. So, anyone have any ideas on what to try next, aside from ditching the internet all together?

0 Likes
Ruvicha
Enthusiast - Level 1

With Verizon, it's difficult to tell cause and effect.  I swear, a day after I wrote my original post about switching ISP, service improved.  To guard against a relapse, I upgraded my modem to an Actiontec 704 WG-B modem.  Since then I haven't had an outage or slowdown. 

I had no better luck than you with Westell modems.  If you get the Actiontec, my advice is read the instructions very, very carefully, particularly about use of splitters.   The modem cost $90 at Best Buy, and so far it seems worth every penny.   For installation, expect to spend plenty of quality time with Verizon tech support to get it to work (and I just have one computer connected by Ethernet -- nothing as elaborate as your set-up). 

Good luck.