VoIP with DLink DSL2750B
Anti-Verizon1

Ok, so I was having problems with the internet service just dropping out.  It was decided, after several hours on the phone troubleshooting, that the modem/router (Westell 7500) was the culprit.  Verizon shipped me a replacement, the Dlink DSL-2750B.

I run primarily a wireless inhome network.  I have an employer provided VoIP phone that is hard wired.  Since installing the Dlink modem/router, the phone does not appear to be pulling an IP address.  I can see the connection to the port is recognized, but I never see an IP address served.  This prolem did not exist until I replaced the router.

Any ideas on how to resolve this are appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Re: VoIP with DLink DSL2750B
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just to ask the obvious, is the phone set up to use an Automatic Network Configuration (also known as DHCP) or was it set up with a Static IP previously? Also, does the phone require a special setup such as a VPN tunnel to speak to your employer's phone system?

0 Likes
Anti-Verizon1

It is set up with DHCP.  I don't recall any VPN set up requirements when I originally installed it on the original Westell 7500.  I just plugged it all up and it worked.  Didn't have this problem, like I said, unitl I swapped out the Westell for the Dlink.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Alrighty. I can't think of any reason immediately aso to why it won't work on the D-Link, but if you are free to, you can use the Westell 7500 still. The only thing it doesn't have is Wireless N support which the D-Link has but just to get you up and running again in case you do need it.

For the D-Link, with the phone attached to it have you tried to set a static IP address up for the phone outside of the router's DHCP pool? For example: IP address of 192.168.1.254 with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 (192.168.1.0/24 is what they call this) and Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 with the Default DNS server of 192.168.1.1 ? If the phone can make a connection with a static IP and work fine, I wonder if this is a case where some DHCP option is being ignored or not liked by either device.

0 Likes