WAN disconnect and intermittent speeds
kokessel

Hello,

Posting my issue here as hopefully the community may have some ideas as Verizon support has been hard to work with.

I have been experiencing Fios internet issues for about 4-5 months now. I've had Fios ever since we moved in 3.5 years ago and have only had issues in the past 4-5 months. I am in contact with a supervisor but haven't been able to escalate any further. I pay for Gigabit service.

Issues:
- Internet completely disconnects. Sometimes it will come back on its own without any intervention and other times it requires a router reboot. Verizon router logs:
[WAN.6][WDHCP] eth4 arping to 96.xxx.xxx.1 fail.
- Slow upload speeds. This is usually coupled with connection issues (work VPN). Observed upload speeds (via speedtests done on Verizon's website, speedtest.net, and fast.com) go as low as 2Mbps and will usually stay under 75Mbps for a half hour or so. Eventually things go "back to normal". Verizon's speedtest reports 800+ Mbps up and down to router, but a much slower speed to my device. When things are "normal", the same speed test will report 800Mbps+ up to device.
- My work laptop that's connected to my work's VPN will experience a VPN disconnect and reconnect. This is usually the indication that my internet is acting funky and will notice that upload speeds are highly degraded (previous point).
- The lights on the ONT seem to be "fine".

Steps taken to address issues:
- Completely replaced my own personal router. I had a ASUS AC68U and replaced it with a TP-Link ER605. Issues persist between both. Original issue was that the ASUS router complained about WAN DHCP failing, which was seemingly tied to firmware issues, but the issues persist even after I removed the router from the equation.
- Replaced personal router with Verizon's router.
- Verizon has verified "light readings" look good to ONT.
- Verizon has replaced ONT two times. After the first ONT was replaced, they noticed "power and connection" alarms and replaced it again, with a newer version.
- Verizon has "moved" connections to my home at the pole and at the "hub". I'm not entirely sure what this means, but the tech made it seem like they moved me over to a completely different fiber line.
- Replaced ethernet cables, specifically ones that connect to my main devices on my wired network.
- Confirmed 1Gbps throughput to devices on local network via iperf. Tests were conducted between two devices at various places in my network.

The supervisor I've been working with has said there are no customers in my area that experience any issues so he's unable to escalate any further. I'm hoping that by posting this I can attempt to escalate. This thread specifically had very similar issues: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/HELP-Daily-WAN-disconnects/td-p/912316  and was resolved by replacement of a PON card at the central office.

0 Likes
Re: WAN disconnect and intermittent speeds
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the trouble also affecting Internet service to smartphones? Wi-Fi & Ethernet connected devices?

I would focus on the wiring again thinking that there might be something amiss with inhouse cabling or jacks.

Would it be possible to bring a laptop to the router and connect the two units together using a known good patch cable? Then run a speed test.

Then connect the laptop directly to the ONT using the same good patch cable. Repeat the speed test.

I, myself, use speed test by Ookla.

kokessel

> Is the trouble also affecting Internet service to smartphones? Wi-Fi & Ethernet connected devices?

Yes. It affects any connected device to the network. Speedtests conducted by a smartphone on WiFi exhibit the same upload speed issues. When the internet disconnects entirely, all devices lose connectivity. Speed tests from devices located at different places on my network all exhibit the same slowdown.

> I would focus on the wiring again thinking that there might be something amiss with inhouse cabling or jacks. Would it be possible to bring a laptop to the router and connect the two units together using a known good patch cable? Then run a speed test.

I've conducted speed tests with a device connected directly to the router (the one that's connected to the ONT) and it exhibits the same upload speed issue. I've also tried multiple cables (and known "good" cables) and still have the same upload speed issues. I can try connecting a device directly to the ONT and running a speedtest that way.

0 Likes
kokessel

Did some speed tests again as follows:

- Device's normal spot on network: results were very inconsistent. Sometimes symmetrical (i.e. down and up around the same) and sometimes asymmetrical with upload speed lagging significantly behind (10-50Mbps).

- Moved device to Verizon router (which is connected to ONT). Same results.

- Disconnected all other devices from network except for device running speedtest that's connected to Verizon router. Same results.

- Connected device directly to ONT using the same Ethernet cable that's used to connect ONT to Router. Same results. Intermittently fast and slow on both down and up.

I then power cycled ONT and then conducted tests again:

- Connected directly to ONT: much faster results with almost equal down/up and much closer to what I'm paying for.

- Connected Verizon router back to ONT. Device connected to router. Speeds were consistently faster than the original tests at the same level. Again, down/up much closer to advertised speeds.

- Connected device to normal spot on network with everything else connected again. Speeds are again significantly faster. At least 750 down and 750 up on all tests.

I think these tests are conclusive enough to rule out any issues on my network specifically. After the ONT was power cycled, speeds significantly increased.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could download the logs for WAN DHCP and System and copy them to a private message to me?

kokessel

After over a month of waiting, I thought I would bump this thread. I've tried contacting @Cang_Household but I've received no response after waiting a few weeks. The last thing I heard was that a case was entered for the "T3" team to take a look at my issue. When I sent logs to @Cang_Household, his initial impression that it seemed to be an issue on Verizon's side.

I've had consistent internet disconnects and periods slow upload speed connectivity for what feels like 4+ months now. Hoping to get in contact with someone to escalate this issue as it is incredibly frustrating and I feel that I've been more than enough patient.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please consider either using social media (ex twitter REF https://twitter.com/Verizon ) or DSLR's Verizon Direct Forum (REF = https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect )

rednahc

I have been facing similar issues with the same "arping failed" messages on my log. Was your issue ever fixed?

0 Likes
kokessel

Sorry for the late reply. No my issue was never fixed and still happens to this day (almost a year later).

My gut feeling is that there's an issue on Verizon's side with DHCP. Here are logs from my router, a TP Link ER605:

602022-09-27 21:00:37LOGGERNOTICE[WAN] of [osg:{REDACTED}] is up.
612022-09-27 21:00:34DHCP ClientNOTICEWAN: DHCP client getting IP succeeded. (IP-Address={REDACTED}, Mask=255.255.255.0, Gateway={REDACTED})
622022-09-27 20:59:58DHCP ClientNOTICE[osg:{REDACTED}] failed to obtain the IP address for WAN because no response from the server.
632022-09-27 20:59:58DHCP ClientNOTICEWAN: DHCP client sending DHCP-DISCOVERY timeout.
642022-09-27 20:59:26DHCP ClientNOTICEWAN: DHCP client releasing IP address succeeded. (IP-Address=0.0.0.0)
652022-09-27 20:59:22DHCP ClientNOTICEWAN: DHCP client releasing IP address succeeded. (IP-Address=0.0.0.0)
662022-09-27 20:58:32DHCP ClientNOTICE[osg:{REDACTED}] failed to obtain the IP address for WAN because no response from the server.
672022-09-27 20:58:32DHCP ClientNOTICEWAN: DHCP client sending DHCP-DISCOVERY timeout.
682022-09-27 20:58:00DHCP ClientNOTICEWAN: DHCP client releasing IP address succeeded. (IP-Address=0.0.0.0)
692022-09-27 20:57:54DHCP ClientNOTICEWAN: DHCP client releasing IP address succeeded. (IP-Address=0.0.0.0)
702022-09-27 20:57:46LOGGERNOTICE[WAN] of [osg:{REDACTED}] is down.

(Order of logs is most recent at the top)

This issue crops up almost every week. Each time, it seems like WAN DHCP fails, which results in those DHCP-DISCOVERY timeouts. It's also pretty intermittent, which makes me think it's a timing thing with DHCP lease times and when DHCP leases are handed out to my router.

The intermittent upload speeds issue continues to happen as well.

I tried working with a Verizon supervisor and staff on this Forum and nothing was ever resolved, so I just gave up.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kokessel wrote:

Did some speed tests again as follows:

- Device's normal spot on network: results were very inconsistent. Sometimes symmetrical (i.e. down and up around the same) and sometimes asymmetrical with upload speed lagging significantly behind (10-50Mbps).

- Moved device to Verizon router (which is connected to ONT). Same results.

- Disconnected all other devices from network except for device running speedtest that's connected to Verizon router. Same results.

- Connected device directly to ONT using the same Ethernet cable that's used to connect ONT to Router. Same results. Intermittently fast and slow on both down and up.

I then power cycled ONT and then conducted tests again:

- Connected directly to ONT: much faster results with almost equal down/up and much closer to what I'm paying for.

- Connected Verizon router back to ONT. Device connected to router. Speeds were consistently faster than the original tests at the same level. Again, down/up much closer to advertised speeds.

- Connected device to normal spot on network with everything else connected again. Speeds are again significantly faster. At least 750 down and 750 up on all tests.

You only need to use Verizon's NAT router if:

#1 You have Fios TV One (or if I got that so close, Fios One TV).

#2 AND OR you need support from Verizon.

-> Support from Verizon will end at the ONT if you use your own NAT router.

0 Likes