Re: WBM User Unknown - firewall config change
Coldhamer

I setup my other wireless router and got 52 attemps to change security settings. it may just be how the wireless adapts to new signals in the same 2.4 ghz band width range. I have like 14 wireless connections in my neighbor hood so this happens every so often. just an observation. i don't think it has to do with admin access to the router but more to do with signal integrity for the user. If this did not happen once in a while near by signals would cancel each other out as signals collided on the same band width.  

0 Likes
cobe
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found this thread while looking for information about the "WBM user Unknown (0.0.0.0) has changed security settings"event that is logged in these FIOS routers on business networks.

So far I have seen no definitive answers but the various clues in all the messages here and on DSLREPORTS has caused me to think this message is likely due to something like antivirus definition updates.  It might also include any internal changes that are reactions to some self (the router) initiated event.

I'm going to go with that and consider it harmless since I can find not visible settings changes.

0.0.0.0 can translate to HERE in some networking speak.  Just like 127.0.0.1

In other situations 0.0.0.0 translates to any interface or all interfaces.  We also use it to mean any address that is not on the LAN side of a router.  Just depends on where it is seen. 

So it seems to me it is something inside the web management system that is updating something and since I can see no changes it is likely rules updates for firewall or other threat mitigation systems rules and possibly even firmware inside the router/firewall  On mine I doubt firmware because my uptime is months and I think firmware requires a reboot.

My other business networks use various other routers that perform these updates as needed. Sometimes many times a day and other times less frequently.

Those other devices typically check some remote server and based on my subscriptions (antivirus, website category definitions etc.) they then check the list of updates to any paid subscription definition and download and install it into the rules system and SEND ME AN EMAIL STATING WHICH DEFINITIONS HAVE BEEN UPDATED. On some days this might consist of many updated rules and others only 1.    Those cost $1000s and did not come free with an account and we pay a subscription fee for security definition updates so it makes sense that they provide a bit more functionality to detail what we get for the money and that the Verizon device just takes care of it and logs a security change.

0 Likes
rispeed

I know this is old thread but i never got these messages until i added some advanced firewall blocking rules.... I Never had this message ever until i added some firewall rules but now i get it constantly.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes