Wake on LAN with Actiontech MI424wr Router
Mercenary2051

I posted this by mistake in the DSL forum, sorry.

. I've set up Wake on LAN for the purpose of powering up a media server that handles all my video and picture files. I have it working fine within my LAN but I've run into a problem when I use it from outside, meaning the internet or my cellular network. The Actiontech MI424WR router does not let me port forward the broadcast address so I worked around this issue by creating a static entry in the ARP table that passes the "Magic packet" to the broadcast MAC of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. See http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16041 for the details.

This technique works fine but unfortunately, the ARP entry will not survive a router reboot or power down. From what information I've been able to find, it may be possible to create a startup script in the router that will re-create the ARP entry upon bootup. I've contacted Actiontech but they said I needed to speak to Verizon support. I contacted Verizon support and they gave me a number for the Verizon Expert Care Team. I'm kinda smelling a runaround so I figured I'd post the question here before I made any more calls.

If you read that link I posted, theres an interesting alternative using a second router and changing that router's MAC address to all "F"s but not many routers will allow you to do that, at least not the two I have. Anyway, if someone knows how to create a startup script or has an alternate solution, I'd be most interested in seeing it. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Wake on LAN with Actiontech MI424wr Router
rikeman
Enthusiast - Level 1

did you find any solution on this?   I am on the same boat as you.  If you have the script can you post how you did it? 

0 Likes
rikeman
Enthusiast - Level 1

By the way if you are still interested here is my solution...

Just change the IP, username and password.  Save this file to filename.vbs and Schedule a trigger (Daily Task, on PC startup) to run this script and you should be good to go

set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.run"telnet 192.168.1.1"

WScript.Sleep 1500  WshShell.SendKeys"username"  

WshShell.SendKeys("{Enter}")  

WScript.Sleep 1500    

WshShell.SendKeys"password"  

WScript.Sleep 1500  

WshShell.SendKeys"system shell"  

WScript.Sleep 1500  

WshShell.SendKeys"arp -s 192.168.1.254 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF"  

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"exit"  

WScript.Sleep 1500  

WshShell.SendKeys"exit"  

WScript.Sleep 1500  

sal23

does anyone recieve this error while running this script?

Expected end of statement

line: 3

char: 20

code: 800a0401

0 Likes
TALONTRAX11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Great solution . . . ! That script works like a champ ! I dropped it in in my windows 7 pro x64 all programs startup folder so the script runs @ boot up. Also have a shortcut on the desktop incase I reboot the router manually for whatever reason. Thanks for the good work & share . . .

0 Likes
TALONTRAX11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Btw . . . I fixed the line 3/line 5 error . . .

Try this with your login/password info & correct ip & mac info.

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.run"telnet 192.168.1.1"

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"username"

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"password"

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"system shell"

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"arp -s 192.168.1.254 00:00:00:00:00:00"

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"exit"

WScript.Sleep 1500

WshShell.SendKeys"exit"

WScript.Sleep 1500

0 Likes
todivefor

This is an old topic, but hopefully someone will respond.  I have actiontec model mi424wr rev i and cannot get wol to work.  I have followed all the directions in the DSLREPORTS link, but still cannot wakeup my computer.  I am running Mac OSX 10.10.  I have wake for network access checked in system preferences.  In the article, it says to notw mac address and IP address, but no where in the directions are they referenced.  I am trying to wakeup my computer at 192.168.1.208, but have only referenced the unused IP address (192.168.1.254) with the broadcast MAC address (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF).  Obviously people have gotten this to work.  I will address the router reboot issue once I am able to get this to work.

0 Likes