Want Internet Only
jamesp7676
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am a happy customer with Verizon enhanced high-speed internet, which comes in through the copper lines in my house. I have no land-line phone service in my house. Internet-only service comes to $50+ monthly.

At my mother's house in a different part of New Jersey, we also have enhanced high-speed internet along with the land line phone service for $80+ per month. Since the wall phone is really never used anymore, we would like to drop the phone service and set up internet-only service, as described above.

The representative for Verizon customer service tells me that dropping the phone service at the second house is not possible and cannot be done. She says that by disconnecting the phone service I would then not be able to use the internet in the house. 

This doesn't really make sense to me. If I can get internet-only service in one house, then why is it not possible in the second house?

James P

Bloomfield, NJ

0 Likes
Re: Want Internet Only
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jamesp7676 wrote:

This doesn't really make sense to me. If I can get internet-only service in one house, then why is it not possible in the second house?

Because many old Verizon plans are not offered to new customers.  These plans are grandfathered for existing customers but no new customers will be signed up for them.  This includes customers who have other Verizon plans.

From what I've heard, "naked" DSL is such a service.  Verizon doesn't want to sell it.  In fact, Verizon is trying hard to get as many people as possible off of copper services.

You may want to look into other internet providers in your area.  If you have cable-TV, a TV and internet plan may make sense.

Good Luck.

jamesp7676
Enthusiast - Level 1

To gs0b:

Many thanks for the information. I knew there had to be a further explanation she was not giving me via customer service. 

Sincerely,

James P

Bloomfield, NJ

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To work around the "no more dry loop" policy, you may want to consider trying a third party DSL provider like MegaPath, DSL Extreme or Cavalier. Many areas can be serviced by a third party. The speeds are often the same since the DSL connection is delivered over the same copper, and Verizon will still be responsible for their end of the deal, but the price is often right and you might get some extra bonuses (Static IP, better peering, IPv6).

Just something to consider. There will be some downtime to switch to a third party from Verizon, unless you activate a second circuit and then disconnect the Verizon services.