Want ipv6
mrballcb
Enthusiast - Level 3

It was stated in another thread here some time ago that Verizon would make an announcement in early 2012 regarding native ipv6 availability.  I'm tired of using a tunnel for my ipv6 connectivity.  Does anybody have any further updates?

I'd love to give their ipv6 service a full testing.  I'm curious what address distribution scheme they will use, if they try to hack in some sort of NAT (instead of just using stateful firewalling), how they will handle rouge RA's (if they use something non-DHCP), etc.  It would also be interesting to see who VZ chooses to peer with for ipv6 transit.

It just has to be made available for testing.

...Todd

Re: Want ipv6
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've been hoping for IPv6 on my end as well. Unfortunately just like you I haven't been able to get native connectivity and have to tunnel everything through an IPv6-connected server I have. The company I work for is putting their entire Global Network through an IPv6 test, including their public facing services on IPv6 day this year so I'd love to try that out without a tunnel, but nope 😞 . I'm directly involved in this transition having to configure the monsterous networking gear to work properly without making a mess of everything. Turning it on this summer is going to be awesome though.

I haven't heard of anything though. FiOS is certainly IPv6 capable, DSL? Maybe some work is needed for it. The routers will need firmware upgrades of course. I'm all set here, running an ActionTec MI424WR Rev. D with DD-WRT already completely configured for IPv6 when they turn it up.

zerojj
Enthusiast - Level 1

+1 want ipv6

most of the internet is turning it on next week.

come on VZ, get the lead out...

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Agree.

Its strange, considering their early support and work on IPV6, that they are not saying anything.  Even a statement saying say, "we will begin rolling out to our residential customers in ... (2013, 2014 ...)",  would be helpful.  Hopefully they will actually start sooner.

0 Likes
shipehawk

I also want IPV6 and can't find any answers.  I phoned tech support and was placed on hold for 58 minutes and then disconnected.  I see that I have a IPV6 address however I can't use it.  Do I need a new router and is Verizon going to provide one?  Why can't I get any answers?  I can't even get into live chat to ask these questions!!  What gives?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@former wrote:

I also want IPV6 and can't find any answers.  I phoned tech support and was placed on hold for 58 minutes and then disconnected.  I see that I have a IPV6 address however I can't use it.  Do I need a new router and is Verizon going to provide one?  Why can't I get any answers?  I can't even get into live chat to ask these questions!!  What gives?

Good news on that, they actually tested code that supported IPV6 in their routers,  And some have even loaded different code into the routers that support ipv6.  But we still  need them to make IPV6 to regular customers. 

0 Likes
alankchan1

It looks like AT&T, Comcast and Time Warner Cable are your only choices when this is enabled in two days if you scroll down to participants:

http://www.worldipv6launch.org/

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Note in order to participate as a network provider you had to have a certain percent (i think only 1% of their wired line) switched over.  Verizon does have a very small number, mostly business, switched over and also their 4g lte network.    Not sure if any of these are FIOS users.  They also reported testing for a month back in 2010 on the FIOS network.

What we are all waiting to hear is what their plan for rollout to FIOS users will be.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Someone for Verizon finally posted something.

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Internet/HighSpeed/General+Support/Top+Questions/Questi...

So looks like something will happen beginning in the the 3q.

Looks like they will not be supporting routers before Actiontec rev E's however.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tns wrote:

What we are all waiting to hear is what their plan for rollout to FIOS users will be.

[EDIT] Someone else posted the URL, before I did.

There still are missing questions and answers.

Such as..

Is it Native IPv6 or an IPv6 Tunnel?

0 Likes