Want to use old MI424WR to connect ps4 via ethernet
Fuichefino
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good morning all,

I upgraded my speed from 50/50 to 75/75. Tech is to come out on Sunday to replace the ONT (was advised by Verizon that they needed to change the ont as its old and couuld not handle the new speed of 75/75).  I cut the cord several years ago now and  I only have fios internet, no other services (and not planning on getting tv service with them) and currently have the quantom G1100 connected via Coax from the ont outside.

I have an old actiontech MI424WR which was replaced by the G1100 (dont know version but can get it). I have a ps4 currently connected via Wifi and i would like to connect it via ethernet. The ps4 is in the basement where as the G1100 is on the first floor. How do i go about connecting the MI424WR  to the internet then use a coax to ethernet adapter to then connect the ps4 to the MI424WR directly via ethernet using the adapter (not using wifi). The adaptor can be seen via this URL

https://www.actiontec.com/products/home-networking/ecb2500c/

The other issue is that when the tech comes out, i wll problably have him change the ont to ethernet since i am planning on getting a third party router (asus since it can be configured via open VPN). If i go the new router, what options are there other than just using ethernet cable from new router to the PS4 in the basement.

I have viewed several tutorials on https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios but could not get this to work for me.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Want to use old MI424WR to connect ps4 via ethernet
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Without TV service, you can use your own router.

A new router might give better wifi coverage so you don't have to go with etherent to PS4.

Otherwise,  your only other option is to go with a wifi adapter that probably wouldn't give any better performance (unless you can locate to get better wifi signal than PS4) than using PS4 wifi diirectly.

If you stay with G1100, then your best bet would be to get a MCOA adapter.

You might be able to reconfigure your old router to do this, but a dedicated device would be better.

View solution in original post

Re: Want to use old MI424WR to connect ps4 via ethernet
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Without TV service, you can use your own router.

A new router might give better wifi coverage so you don't have to go with etherent to PS4.

Otherwise,  your only other option is to go with a wifi adapter that probably wouldn't give any better performance (unless you can locate to get better wifi signal than PS4) than using PS4 wifi diirectly.

If you stay with G1100, then your best bet would be to get a MCOA adapter.

You might be able to reconfigure your old router to do this, but a dedicated device would be better.