Warning on every reboot that mentions "fios-router.home" - how to fix?
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

On every reboot of my Win 10 Pro 64-bit PC, I get this Warning in Event Viewer:

"Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home. timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."

Since it mentions fios-router.home, is it caused by my Quantum G1100 (FIOS 1Gbps)?

How can I fix?

I would like to paste the COMPLETE text of this Event Viewer Warning, but it contains HTML codes that this forum won't accept.  Unless there's a trick how to do that.

But what do you think about this Warning on reboot?

EDIT - ADDED INFO - Apparently, this is needed for proper functioning of my or the Quantum's "Active Directory".  See item #4 at this link:  -THIS LINK ON MSDN-

But I'm not a tech and don't know how to start fixing this.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Warning on every reboot that mentions "fios-router.home" - how to fix?
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you connect a computer to your G1100 router using DHCP a dns record is created in the router's DNS that allows you to gain access to a device using a name instead of the device's local IP address. It is formated as <hostname>.fios-router.home.

Aka if you have a computer whose's hostname is set to DESKTOP-123456G, the router will register a DNS record named desktop-123456g.fios-router.home. This is a feature provided as a convience. 

By providing fios-router.home as a dns suffix this allow you the ability to connect to the example host name above by only needing to type in desktop-123456g to access a resource provided by that device, your operating system will automatically append fios-router.home to the end if only desktop-123456g does not exist, but you will not see it.

In your case the real issue is that your computer is trying and failed to access a Domain COntroller on your network. If you use a Domain Controller, this error is relevant to you because this error means your Domain Controller is offline or inaccessible to this computer.

Domain Controllers are used when you have Active Directory set up on your network.

If you are using Active Directory, it is either not configured properly or unavailable resulting in the error you are seeing.

Try this:

• Open up windows explorer
  • On the left side you should see an option called This PC
    • Right Click on This PC and select Properties
  • On the following window the opens there should be a section called Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings

By setting your forwarding rules as

fios-router.home 192.168.1.1

You are telling your computer that the Domain Controller on on the router. This would not be correct ad the router does not handle any kind of active directory and is instead handled (typically) by a computer running a variant of Windows Server that has Active Directory Services enabled and is properly configured.

View solution in original post

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

I'm the OP.  More info - and I certainly need your help:

By experimenting, I have determined that this Warning occurs when I have the service dnscrypt-proxy running at startup.  It's a great service that encrypts DNS lookup requests so that nobody - not Verizon and not Google and not man-in-the-middle bad guys -- can see where I am trying to go.

First, there's a superb article on ars techinca that explains everything in great detail:  How to keep your ISP’s nose out of your browser history with encrypted DNS

Second, you can download and get technical info about Simple DNSCrypt - which helps you install and configure dnscrypt-proxy on a Win machine - from github at github-bitbeans-SimpleDnsCrypt

Third, what should I do to continue using dnscrypt-proxy but let _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home get the needed DNS/name resolution and so not get the Warning I describe above?

Fourth - FYI - I always get TWO warnings on reboot - the warning in my first post above, and also "Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."  Both are Event 1014, DNS Client Events.

Thanks.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you configured to use then FiOS router as your DNS server?

If so, its possible that it can't use encryption.

And really no need for encryption if using a local router as it would just be to the next hop router.

And if hard coded to an external DNS, not sure how windows would know about FiOS router.

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

CRob - You wrote:

1. Are you configured to use the FiOS router as your DNS server?
    Not as far as I know.  If I understand dnscrypt-proxy correctly, DNS lookups are done via local host (at ::1 in my case) or an encrypted DNS call-out to my designated resolver, which is cloudflare at 1.1.1.1.  The FIOS router is providing DHCP, but I actually have a static LAN IP address for this PC.  But I could be wrong.  What do you think?
  2. If so, its possible that it can't use encryption.
    Well, that's interesting.  Just recently, Verizon has required use of a self-signed certificate for anything on my LAN side to access the Quantum G1100 at 192.168.1.1.  Do you think that is now interfering with these two connections in my Warnings?
  3. And really no need for encryption if using a local router as it would just be to the next hop router.
    Same point.  Unless I'm just not understanding the new required self-signed certificate on the LAN side.
  4. And if hard coded to an external DNS, not sure how windows would know about FiOS router.
    I was thinking about that.  Why is my PC sending this thing that ends with fios-router.home anyway?  How does my PC know about the Quantum G1100?  Or maybe I have it backwards and the "fios-router.home" is coming from the Quantum G1100 and getting tangled up somehow.

CRob - I actually know nothing about this DNS and router-PC connection stuff, and I'm probably not understanding your questions.  Could you reply again with a "DNS connections with Quantum G1100 for Dummies" version?

Thanks.

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Update - just tried nslookup. It says "Domain: fios-router.home" but then says it can't find that domain.
Here's a link to a screenshot showing that - gif and pdf: < LINK >
Mean anything?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

1) Check your PC to see how you configured the static address. It is two sections. One for IP and other for DNS. Make sure that DNS is turned off. I am not familiar with the service you are using so I can't say for sure how it overides other DNS. You can also open a cmd window and run ipconfig command. See if there is a DNS domain name.

2) To the best of my knowledge, the certificate was just to use encryption for login purposes. I have no idea if they also support encrypted DNS.

3) See #2.

4) See #1

I know how DNS works via DHCP or a hard coded DNS server.

As stated I am not familiar with the service you are trying to use.

You may need to go to their support to better understand how their service interacts with that provided by an ISP router. Its possible that you do not have it implemented 100% correctly.

jonjones1
Legend

@glnz2 wrote:

Update - just tried nslookup. It says "Domain: fios-router.home" but then says it can't find that domain.
Here's a link to a screenshot showing that - gif and pdf: < LINK >
Mean anything?

It showing your own “home network” that is the way it’s supposed to be.

if you do a tracert to say google or verizon the first hop is your own router (home)

fios is your service so it shows that first.

there is nothing wrong with your setup.

like i said you may want to post the issue at http://www.dslreports.com under the fios forum. 

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

CRob and jonjones --

First, thanks for your patience.  I realize you are very tech savvy, and I'm not.  On the other hand, one learns by doing, and if I hadn;t started asking questions in Forums like these in 2004 when we first got DSL, I would never have been able to set up FIOS at home.

Anyway, as to the Event 1014 Warning that  "Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home. timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.":

I've done some more digging, and the dnscrypt-proxy service I am using to encrypt my DNS lookups and send them only to cloudflare's new 1.1.1.1 has a Forwarding feature, maybe expecially for cases like this.

See  < THIS PAGE ON GITHUB >

But I would need the precise IP address for where to forward _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.fios-router.home.  It's probably 192.168.1.1:something, yes?  What would the :something be?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi glnz2,

Are you having actual networking or PC performance issues related to this, or is it just a warning entry you are seeing in Windows Event Viewer without any noticeable adverse effects?  Windows Event Viewer always contains many error and warning entries.  This is normal.  Generally these are not anything a user needs to worry about or diagnose unless they are causing a problem.  Windows logs these but in almost all cases works around them on its own.

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Lawrence - As far as I can tell, most things are OK.

However, I have a few other issues on my WIn 10 PC, and I think there may be some connections with this.

Anyway, I think my last question about the   :something   is a fair one, for those of us who are being a little extra secure.

Could you forward this to your favorite Verizon tech and ask?

Thanks.

0 Likes