Web Activity Log
Malik5

I recently received a copyright infringment notice. I live in an apartment building where many users share the same wireless router. I asked everybody about the content downloaded and nobody is confessing who downloaded the material. I have blocked the p2p websites on my router so I am unsure how the content was downloaded. Is there anyway that I can check on the router setting page which user is surfing what websites or using how much bandwidth to track who downloaded the content?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Web Activity Log
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope.

Further, even though you have something blocked in the router a savvy user can get around that block with a VPN or other approaches.

You may want t to limit WiFi access to only those people you can trust.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Re: Web Activity Log
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You may want to consider asking the tenants to get their own connection. Although this approach is not as friendly, it saves your account from the liability occurred from Copyright Infringement.

Otherwise, if you are providing the connection, you are best running traffic through a web filter that will be able to restrict services that are common for pirated materials. Someone determined will be able to get around the filter, although a properly set up one will require a proxy or a VPN with encryption to bypass. Utilize non-intrusive logging as well (bandwidth monitoring per client, traffic type percentages, etc). At that point, If a copyright infringement notice manages to come your way (eg: VPN or proxy provider was subpoena'd to get your IP), you can use these logs to help pinpoint the troublesome user and boot them off.