Website being blocked
davisfam913

We used to use a program that accessed the internet called the football intelligym, and now somehow the router or firewall is blocking the program's ability to access it.

We thought it was the Mac, but we added the exception to the Mac as well.

Anyone know how to add a website exception to the Verizon Router settings?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Website being blocked
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Gonna disagree here.    It's more likely something on the client or out in the ether.   The default configuration of a Vz router pretty much permits any outbound traffic unless you take action to block something.  As for configuration, they are definitely not the most intuitive device, but the functionality of a regular router is all there.  WiFi, I do agree is a bit spotty, but for me that has more to do with location and the internal antenna approach this particular model uses vs the external antenna models (I use the Vz router as my primary gateway and a second device as an access point -- since I have the access point located in a more centrally locate spot and frankly, don't want Vz to have my WiFi passwords (which they do if you use their WiFi).

CRobGauth is probably on the most likely trail to resolution -- can you ping the site?  What IP address are you seeing as the site's location?  What does a traceroute show?

Since you're on a Mac, you didn't happen to change the DNS servers you're using did you?  Click on the Network icon, select ethernet or wifi, and then advanced -- and look under the DNS tab.  If there is something there, trying removing the values and reboot.  If that doesn't work, try adding Google's or one of the other public DNS servers (8.8.8.8) and see what that does.  Having knowledge of the IP and DNS resolution that I outlined above along with the traceroute would go a long way to being able to help.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@davisfam913 wrote:

We used to use a program that accessed the internet called the football intelligym, and now somehow the router or firewall is blocking the program's ability to access it.

We thought it was the Mac, but we added the exception to the Mac as well.

Anyone know how to add a website exception to the Verizon Router settings?

Verizon routers are pretty much locked down, and many features just do not function.

you could try purchasing your own better router and use that. But since you have tv it will be harder to install. You would need a MOCA adapter and a splitter. The how to do it is at http://www.dslreports.com in the verizon FAQ’s forum.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Default settings on Verizon routers is not to block any sites on the outbound side.

What error are you receiving?

Can you ping the website?

jonjones1
Legend

Try this site.

https://itstillworks.com/set-up-static-ip-addresses-verizon-fios-routers-13474.html

This is for the actiontec but it should work the same for the quantum.

or look at the manual here.

https://fccid.io/2ABTEG1100/User-Manual/User-Manual-pdf-2229489

Good luck

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

BTW, I was able to access their website from my PC.

jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

BTW, I was able to access their website from my PC.

I knew you would have no issue.

however it has to be a setting on the forum posters router that needs to be changed.

could be for various reasons. But a google search will prove fios routers do not allow total functionality. The usb ports don’t work for one. Wifi is weak due to design etc.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Gonna disagree here.    It's more likely something on the client or out in the ether.   The default configuration of a Vz router pretty much permits any outbound traffic unless you take action to block something.  As for configuration, they are definitely not the most intuitive device, but the functionality of a regular router is all there.  WiFi, I do agree is a bit spotty, but for me that has more to do with location and the internal antenna approach this particular model uses vs the external antenna models (I use the Vz router as my primary gateway and a second device as an access point -- since I have the access point located in a more centrally locate spot and frankly, don't want Vz to have my WiFi passwords (which they do if you use their WiFi).

CRobGauth is probably on the most likely trail to resolution -- can you ping the site?  What IP address are you seeing as the site's location?  What does a traceroute show?

Since you're on a Mac, you didn't happen to change the DNS servers you're using did you?  Click on the Network icon, select ethernet or wifi, and then advanced -- and look under the DNS tab.  If there is something there, trying removing the values and reboot.  If that doesn't work, try adding Google's or one of the other public DNS servers (8.8.8.8) and see what that does.  Having knowledge of the IP and DNS resolution that I outlined above along with the traceroute would go a long way to being able to help.

jonjones1
Legend

The poor facts are verizon has done at least three firmware updates. Which have made that Quantum router go crazy. Many posts on the web that doing a router reset fixed most of the issues. Others had replacement sent which fixed some others. 

The process of changing DNS servers was a good idea. However another thing to look for is if parental controls have been set up via accident and turn that off. 

Another thing to check is to see if IPv6 has been turned on for the sites, instead of ipv4 which can make the site(s) unreachable. The ping and tracert are also a good idea but if they can reach it via other means i doubt the website is blocking them.

it then becomes a issue of looking at the Quantum Gateway Router settings. That is why i gave the link to the manual. A better and more productive way of checking is to hook up any other type of router and then try the website and see if it resolves. If it does its the verizon router. If not the next step is to check the users MAC computer.

the system may have a web blocker enabled or it could be a website that is not in the acceptable list or could be on the RBL for one reason or another. But if its reached by other devices i would say its the router or the block of addresses this customer is on is blocked at the site level.

0 Likes
loralassan
Enthusiast - Level 1

please can anyone tell me, What is the issue ! i am not able to pen up this website, it says error 504, please find me a solution.

0 Likes