Weeeird issues
ilovefios_not

Hi

I became a Fios Customer on Saturday - and wow has that been fun!

So I picked up my box and happily ran home to enjoy super fast wifi with the oh so simple self installation process. First off Verizon displayed the SSID and password of my neighbor when I clicked My Verizon and that beautiful little globe remained red.

I was able to use the SSID and password on the side of my box, which gave me extremely intermittent internet...

So after more than 2 hours on the phone on Sunday I am no longer associated, the globe is white and all is beautiful in the world again! Or so I thought.

The internet connection is still extremely intermittent. I can't even get the wire connection and the admin console regularly redirects me to 192.168.1.1/#/setup at which point it won't accept the password?

Another 2 hours of troubleshooting on Sunday, an hour on Monday I get sent to the Verizon store (which was closed for Memorial Day!) to pick up a new Modem. Took the new modem home, same intermittment issues/admin console issues as before. I suspect the issues has to do with my Coax connection in the building...

Got a technician out on Thursday but if there is anything I should be trying in the interim, please let me know 🙂

Thanks in advance 🙂

Ps my wireless connections between devices (iphone, Macbook, dell laptop, firestick) and router is very strong and doesn't drop.

0 Likes
Re: Weeeird issues
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of things:

1) Verizon only uses rotuers, not modems.

2) I would try support on twitter @verizonsupport

I have found them quite helpful in getting issues resolved.

It sounds as though some sort of network issue.

A hardwired connection from PC to router should bring you direct to router.

Have you tried clearing browser cache?

0 Likes
ilovefios_not

Thanks for your response 🙂

Apologies - I'm using the words modem/router interchangably.

I don't have a twitter account, and over the phone they have been helpful but I've no idea what is going on, and nor do they hence why I thought this forum would be the best place to through it out.

The hardwired connection to my laptop wouldn't connect to the internet. Which is possibly the first time I've seen that... very strange behavior.

re: browser cache - no. It's not exclusive to surfing the web. It affects everything from streaming TV, listening to music, sending an email etc. It makes almost everything useless.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@ilovefios_not wrote:

Thanks for your response 🙂

Apologies - I'm using the words modem/router interchangably.

I don't have a twitter account, and over the phone they have been helpful but I've no idea what is going on, and nor do they hence why I thought this forum would be the best place to through it out.

The hardwired connection to my laptop wouldn't connect to the internet. Which is possibly the first time I've seen that... very strange behavior.

re: browser cache - no. It's not exclusive to surfing the web. It affects everything from streaming TV, listening to music, sending an email etc. It makes almost everything useless.

Try unplugging your router, and make sure to unhook the pc from the ethernet to the router. Then count to 20 then plug in the router first. Make sure it boots up fully. Solid white globe. Then turn on your pc and let it boot up. Then hook the ethernet from the pc to an available LAN port on the router. It now should show connected.

you should insure the LAN card in the computer is showing as found and active under device properties. 

Did you try using wifi from your computer or from another device to make sure it’s just your pc and not anything else in the network.

could also be a faulty router. But Test it like I suggested.

0 Likes
ilovefios_not

Hi

I unplugged and rebooted it on a number of occassions. I reset it etc. It's not the router. This is also the second router so that likely isn't where the fault lies.

The LAN card on my laptop is active and connects to the router. It just doesn't get internet access.

4 wireless devices have been tested, all with the same intermittency issues.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@ilovefios_not wrote:

Hi

I unplugged and rebooted it on a number of occassions. I reset it etc. It's not the router. This is also the second router so that likely isn't where the fault lies.

The LAN card on my laptop is active and connects to the router. It just doesn't get internet access.

4 wireless devices have been tested, all with the same intermittency issues.

Thanks for responding back. Did you call 1-800-VERIZON and have the connection tested to both first the ONT and then ONT to Router?

if you are sure it’s not the router (I am assuming it’s a Verizon branded router) 

i would let the tech look at your internet connectivity. Now another question, are you connected via ethernet? Or coaxial? If either has a bad connection it could affect internet use. 

Another thing i would try is to test a router not branded to Verizon (no actiontec or FiOS Quantum Gateway) if you have a friend with a Netgear or Asus or Cisco Router see if you can borrow it for testing only.

is there anything that gets internet access? I mean either tablets, cell phones, any WiFi devices. And if so is it a stable connection? 

I know now it’s a bummer troubleshooting I had to do it at work for many many years.

0 Likes
ilovefios_not

Hi Jonjones - thanks for your help.

I have spent around 8 hours in calls with Verizon as they perfrom various diagnostics. I'm not sure exactly what they are doing but done many resets + reboots to no avail.

It's a coax connection.

The devices all get some form of internet connection, but none of them are stable. The connection between the device and the router stays 'very strong' but the internet connection drops regularly.

Unfortuantely I don't know anyone with another one non-Verizon device.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Ok so we know it’s 100/100 or less to be MOCA connection.

if you can access the ONT I would run new coaxial from the ONT to the router.

it could be a bad coaxial install. Did this happen since the time you had it installed?

if not it must have been another issue with the connection to your router.

is this a home or shared apartment ont? If a single home then I would have a physical Fios tech to trace the line from the ont to the pole, and then to the transfer office.

on my install it was overhead fiber optics to my home, then to the ont then in to my customer owned router. But I started at 150/150 and it was an ethernet connection.

verizon will place a new ont in for some installs at 100/100 if the ont is not a newer one.

or they will convert you over to ethernet for your internet connection.

if you run ethernet yourself or have a friend tech savvy do it you can call Verizon and have them switch you to ethernet. However they may then have to put new ont etc. in for you.

a connection from a computer or printer or other direct connection to the router is not a good test. The issue is outside past the router. I then would say it’s the ONT that has to be looked at. Even if you call for troubleshooting it could be an intermittent failure which like when you go to a doctors office the problem cannot be duplicated or comes and goes.

0 Likes