Weird outbound problem = The number of vod connections are: 0
sheesh2

Hi all - I am a Verizon Fios BUSINESS customer, but their technical support has been of no help with this issue as I think I understand their routers better than they do.  

I work from home in the Video Conferencing industry.  I recently had trouble in my area that resulted in VZ replacing my older Actiontec router with a shiny new red one with the n speed wireless (MI424WR-GEN3I).  Since that router was replaced I've been unable to initiate video recordings FROM my hardware video system in my office to my recording server on the internet.  I had no problems whatsoever with the old router.

These recordings are initiated on port 443 and 554 TCP and then some high level UDP ports.  It fails on my system and the message I get in the security log on the Actiontec is  "The number of vod connections are: 0".  Now, it's using RTSP (real-time streaming protocol) which perhaps the router thinks is video on demand and says that is a no-no?  I don't know.  

At this point I've tried everything - port forwarding, advanced filtering opening all IP between my VC system and the recorder - I even changed the remote administration from port 443 to 4430 because of something else I read.  I can record locally no problem to a machine here on my LAN.

Lastly, I downgraded to the previous version of firmware just for kicks but no joy.  Does anyone have ANY idea what the heck is going on?

0 Likes
Re: Weird outbound problem = The number of vod connections are: 0
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your service since getting the new router. To see if it's router firewall issue, true putting the computer in the DMZ zone briefly to test. If it works in the DMZ, then we know it's a portforwarding issue.

0 Likes
sheesh2

Anthony,

Thanks for the response.  The video system actually is the DMZ host.  I've tried it both ways.  Same message in the logs.  To be clear, I did not have this issue with the older G speed Actiontec.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Try looking at port forwarding rules and port triggering. I think the new router has some port triggering rules that you wouldn't want.

0 Likes
sheesh2

The only triggering rules setup are the default for tftp and for l2tp, neither of which correspond to any of the ports my service is using.  The RTSP protocol works like anything else.  A TCP control connection is made on port 554 to the far server which then opens up a UDP port between 50,000 and 52,000 to stream RTP to the server from my system.  I'm not getting a specific blocked connection - just a weird message talking about 'vod connections'.  I'm assuming it has something to do with how FiOS receives and plays on demand or pay per view content through this router.  Nonetheless, it is kind of a problem.

0 Likes