Westell 6100 requires reboot every 7-8 days on 7meg and now the 10/15 meg plans
imanjunk
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does anyone have any experiences where they have to reboot their modem regularly every x days to fix a browser can't find web site of any location?  Seems this is an issue with the 7meg and now my 10/15 meg plan I just upgraded too. I use a verizon as primary dns server and a non V 2ndary dns server. Yes they offer 10/15 meg as of 8/31/10.  Works great when it is.

0 Likes
Re: Westell 6100 requires reboot every 7-8 days on 7meg and now the 10/15 meg plans
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 I saw a post of yours in Capping my Internet, that you had the Westell 7500 and a Netgear wireless.

#2 What is the model of that Netgear wireless device?

#3 If you have logged into your Westell 6100, which Westell firmware is it (The White and Blue or the Red and Black)?

0 Likes
Re: Westell 6100 requires reboot every 7-8 days on 7meg and now the 10/15 meg plans
imanjunk
Enthusiast - Level 1

#1 - Let me correct, I meant Westell 6100...7500 is a new one I have not yet tried.

#2- My Netgear is wgr614 v6

#3- Westell software is red and black.. Afraid to try any upgrades without screwing up my setup and the lax support provided since I rely on this daily to work at home.

Again it seems to be speeds since going to 7 meg and now the 10/15 meg plan that I noticed this.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 I do not know if this is going to fix the issue or not, but let us try something.

Follow this FAQ

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

#2 If you have any questions, please ask.

0 Likes
imanjunk
Enthusiast - Level 1

I might try it the weekend as to not mess up my work week. But if it is a lot of changes from what I have I will live with a reboot once per week rather than frustrate myself with screwing it up and then spending hours fixing it again only to be at start 0.  Thanks for the info and if it fixes it I will surely reply.

0 Likes
imanjunk
Enthusiast - Level 1

BTW, I followed the suggested changes to see what my settings are alread so I have a few questions.

First a reminder my WESTELL 6100 is just the modem...my netgear is wireless only which is my normal pathway and not thru ethernet other than my TV connected.

1--Making the VC change from DSL Config from PPoE protocal to a Bridge as instructions show, how does that help fix my subject issue?  I am not sure i want to dive into converting this to a Bridge without fully understanding why to do it and what it provides me once done compared to what I have now in place.

2-My LAN Network settings already seem to be set since I first installed the modem some 3yrs ago or so.

FYI too.

When I chatted telephoned verizon back when, they suggested my modem is set to be a "dumb" modem just passing thru the internet connection which I have controlled access in place with the netgear device settings.

When I chatted verizon technical support yesterday they suggestd I activate my UPnP option which is not active nor do I think I should at this time of need.  I don't see how that would fix the subject issue of losing connection of modem to ISP.  When the issue occurs I reboot my modem and never have to reboot the netgear wireless that is connected to the modem  at which time all is well.

Thanks again for any help.

And btw the v. of the westell modem software seems to be

Software Version: VER:4.04.03.00 Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0 Model Name: C90-610015-06

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I asked for some one's advise on the matter.

Before changing anything in your Westelll and in your RJ-45 WAN port router.

#1 In the Westell go to System Monitoring  -> Advanced Status -> Transceiver Statistics

#2 Since stats are judged based on the relationships between sync rates, attenuation, noise margins, power required, line mode, etc.

The best thing to do would be to post the stats over at the DSLR (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ilec,vz) Verizon message board, and maybe a line test at DSLR, and let the experts at DSL Reports help out.

0 Likes
imanjunk
Enthusiast - Level 1

No I did not change anthing in my westell setup.  I will try the broadband forum if nothing comes up here.

So my Transceiver stats are

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0  

Vendor ID Code: 4  

Line Mode: ADSL2+ Mode  

Data Path: Interleaved    

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 11763 1183

Margin (dB) 6.0 6.0

Line Attenuation (dB) 31.5 13.5

Transmit Power (dBm) 19.4 12.1

0 Likes
imanjunk
Enthusiast - Level 1

Last Wed at 11:29pm my connection acted up. I am watching to see if it acts up again tomorrow, wed 11/10 as it has not yet today. That will prove I have the same situation under my 10/15 meg upgraded speed as I had on my 7meg speed. I am also wondering if naming DNS specifically is causing the problem versus allowing the default DNS assigned by Verizon to occur as I think I had under my 3meg and slower speed days. Just a thought I might try to remove named DNSs and go back to default to see what happens.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@iman wrote:

Last Wed at 11:29pm my connection acted up. I am watching to see if it acts up again tomorrow, wed 11/10 as it has not yet today. That will prove I have the same situation under my 10/15 meg upgraded speed as I had on my 7meg speed. I am also wondering if naming DNS specifically is causing the problem versus allowing the default DNS assigned by Verizon to occur as I think I had under my 3meg and slower speed days. Just a thought I might try to remove named DNSs and go back to default to see what happens.

If you desire to:

#1 Go to http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

#2 Download that tool.

#3 Scan it for malware, if you want to.

#4 Then:

a) Make sure that you are not sending/receiving e-mail, not browsing the web (In other words: No other network programs are running).

b) In the program go to the Nameservers tab.

c) Press Run Benchmark.

d) When it is done running the test, go to the Conclusions tab.