Westell 6100G in bridge mode with Linksys BFSR41 wired router
Leo854
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had a long go-round with V tech support over slow DSL speeds since March 2011. They sent me the Westell 6100G to replace an ancient Westell that had provided satisfactory service for many years, connected through my LInksys BFSR41.

Initially, I connected the Westell directly to a PC and did not see any improvement in speed (always around 1.3M since March). So I re-connected it in bridge mode with the LInksys. Slow speeds continued, plus periodic hiccups, where the connection would simply not exist, although the lights were all good and the LInksys said "connected. Cure was to wait or power down modem and router. The following week a V tech called and said they had made changes to the network and fixed a problem with my line. 

Thereafter I did  see a vast improvement in speed as tested by Speedtest.net and Speakeasy.com (usually 2.8 M or thereabouts). But I still had the "hiccups". Now you see it, now you don't.

V tech support said, "connect the Westell directly". This indeed solved all intermittance problems. But I need the router  and I need it to do the DHCP addressing dynamically as I frequently swap out machines. FYI this is a PPOe connection.

I hope someone on the forum can help me before I spend anther 2 hours in voicemail limbo.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Westell 6100G in bridge mode with Linksys BFSR41 wired router
Leo854
Enthusiast - Level 2

My final solution was to call Verizon Tech Support. I cried, I moaned, I pointed out that this problem resolution was costing   way more than a new gateway or router. They seemed to agree. They sent me a Westell 7500 which has 2 wired ports, plu wireless and works great ...once I figured out that you install the thing, open Internet Explorer (don't use Firefox - you'll have problems) and try to go anywhere on the WEB, which then triggers the Verizon Activation utility. DON"T go into the 7500 first because it asks you to change your password and even if you don't, Verizon's activation utility thinks the UID and password are no longer factory defaults ... and it doesn't care what password you give, it hangs. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the connection is solid while plugged directly into the modem, what I would do is check your Linksys router to make sure it is running the latest firmware. Perform a factory reset on the router before and after the firmware upgrade is completed to ensure no problems arise with the router and to also put it into a clean state. When setting up the router for PPPoE Connectivity, also make sure that you are forcing the MTU to 1492 instead of Auto. The Linksys might be trying 1500 which is no good on a PPPoE connection.

FYI: I am assuming you are using a Linksys BEFSR41 since a BFSR41 does not exist.

Firmware upgrades can be gotten at this page: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys?icid=Cisco-Home-Products-HN-MM-Suport-Linksys

Factory reset the router by holding the reset button in the back down for 30 seconds. Once the router has rebooted, log into the Linksys using password (should be the default pass, if not try admin) at http://192.168.1.1/ and install the downloaded firmware upgrade, which can be done by visiting the Administration > Firmware Upgrade page on the Linksys. Once the router has installed the update and rebooted itself, give the router a few minutes to settle down. Close your web browser, and then perform another factory reset on the Linksys. Finally, configure the router using your web browser at http://192.168.1.1/ with password or admin as the default login and also be sure to change your password to something away from the default.

0 Likes
Leo854
Enthusiast - Level 2

No luck. I am at latest firmware release. FYI my router in BEFS41 v2 (old, that is)

I noticed there are two sets of instructions for bridging the 6100. One says change bridge mode to "routed bridge". When I do that I have no internet at all, just endlessly flashing data light on modem. The other instructions leave bridge mode at "bridge", which is what I have now. With endless interruptions and time outs, though speed tests are fine, 2.6-2.9.

I noticed that MTU was set to  1492, but "disabled". I changed it the "enabled", which seemed to help, some, not much.

I hope you have some more ideas.

Thanks

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some Linksys routers have the ability to log events such as the router losing connectivity. If your Linksys has the ability to log WAN Connection Disconnects/Reconnects, enable that log. See if the Linksys reports that it is losing connectivity. If it doesn't support such logging, we'll see what else can be done.

0 Likes
Leo854
Enthusiast - Level 2

Router only logs incoming and outgoing with such entries as:

Outgoing

192.168.1.100    www.google-analytics.com    HTTP
192.168.1.100    www.wqxr.org    HTTP
192.168.1.100    googleads.g.doubleclick.net    HTTP
192.168.1.100    lt.andomedia.com    HTTP

Incoming
    68.194.175.4    43310

I do note that when I ping the address listed as WAN in the status page, everything is fine, but pings to the DNS servers are always 25-50% lost. Don't know if that is relevant.

There are some filters, set as follows:

Block WAN Request:                    Enable
Multicast Pass Through:              Enable
IPSec Pass Through:                   Enable
PPTP Pass Through:                   Enable
Remote Management:                 Disable   Port: 8080
Remote Upgrade:                         Disable
MTU:                                                Enable    Size: 1492
Filter Internet NAT Redirection:  Disable 
Filter IDENT(port 113):                 Disable

Now what?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That does seem to be significant enough. Do you see the same kind of loss when you ping www.google.com ?

0 Likes
Leo854
Enthusiast - Level 2

The difficulty of this is that it is so errratic. I just finished watching a Vimeo movie, 1:15 long, all the way through, no interruptions. I did some other stuff then came back here. I pinged the DNS servers with, again 25-50% loss, none on WAN. First ping to Google was 25%, next few no problem. Then I tried Amazon and got nothing back. Bing: no loss, Netflix: no loss, DNS again, this time with no loss.

I get the feeling that as long as I am actively using the connection it tends to stay connected, but maybe I was just lucky this evening. Earlier this morning I got hiccups all over the place trying to listen to radio.

Perhaps prayer would help.

?????

Leo854
Enthusiast - Level 2

My problems may be due, mostly, to heat and humidity.

Last night, after watching a whole movie for over an hour, I realized that the ambient temp was only 75 F, humidity <65%. This is much cooler and drier than we've been experiencing in NYC for the last few weeks. 

Out of curiosity, I took the router's temperature:  I taped a thermometer to the bottom vents. Temp was 102◦ F. Operating specs say up to 104 is OK, but, it's an old router and the wiring may be less tolerant than it used to be. Plus, it may well have been getting much higher when ambient temp 80+

I had also thought that perhaps continuous usage was keeping the connection alive, so I went and watched TV for an hour. Still up, and ambient temp down to 71.

Today, after giving it a good dusting with the compressed air gun, I put the router on 1 inch blocks allow better ventilation below. I also pointed a 4 inch fan at it. Router temp on bottom is now definitely below 80 (feels cool to the touch) and I have had contiuous connection for over an hour.

However, I still have a problem with the WQXR.org audio streams popping in and out. I have contacted them for more info.

I still get a high percentage of non-returned pings from the DNS servers.

Having known forever that, in the world of electronics coolness and cleanliness are next to godliness, I am really embarrassed to not have investigated this avenue before.

Still, I wonder why I had no problem before getting the Westell 6100 - I used to have the router and modem stacked! Talk about hot!.

Two possibilities come to mind:

1. Co-incidentally with my change of modem, Linksys experienced menopause and starting having hot flashes. Again, this is an old, and well used router. Could be.

2. The increased speed (from 1M to closer to 3), or the changed interraction with modem made Linksys work harder, generating more heat.

I wonder, does the Linksys have a fail safe circuit breaker that stops operations when temp gets too high?

All input and ideas gladly entertained.

Thank you.

Leo854
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, my heat/humidity solution helped, but has not solved my problem. My connection still disappears at unpredictable, though less frequent intervals.  Any and all ideas willl be appreciated.

Thanks

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

At this point I would just suggest simply checking to make sure the modem itself isn't overheating, since it seems you've found a partial solution. If you can also get your hands on a spare router to use for a day or two, see if that solves the disconnection issues.

0 Likes