Re: Westell 6100G in bridge mode with Linksys BFSR41 wired router
Leo854
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, the modem stays cool even without the fan - just warm to the touch.

Don't know where to borrow a router and I do  hate to spring for  a new one, in case the new one doesn't work either.

I'll post my final results when I can, but it might be a while.

Thanks for your input

Leo854
Enthusiast - Level 2

My final solution was to call Verizon Tech Support. I cried, I moaned, I pointed out that this problem resolution was costing   way more than a new gateway or router. They seemed to agree. They sent me a Westell 7500 which has 2 wired ports, plu wireless and works great ...once I figured out that you install the thing, open Internet Explorer (don't use Firefox - you'll have problems) and try to go anywhere on the WEB, which then triggers the Verizon Activation utility. DON"T go into the 7500 first because it asks you to change your password and even if you don't, Verizon's activation utility thinks the UID and password are no longer factory defaults ... and it doesn't care what password you give, it hangs. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear this problem was solved. Hope the 7500 works well for you.

A lot of us log into the modem first, to actually disable that Activation screen. There is no need for it, so we go ahead with changing the password, then shutting off the Walled Garden, and then if needed, punching in the PPPoE information for the connection. After the Walled Garden is disabled, the Internet is basically good to go.

0 Likes