Westell 7500 Macintosh, can't connect wireless
Ramblegrrl

I am using a Westell 7500 router/modem and  Mac OS X (snow leopard) on a Macbook.

I am able to connect to the internet with the ethernet cable but I can't get on wireless anymore. I have tried many times turning the modem off and on again. And turning airport on and off again. Restarting the computer. When I open Network from the System Preferences it says, "AirPort has the self-assigned IP address <address removed> and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

Anybody have any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Westell 7500 Macintosh, can't connect wireless
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 I point to

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Networking/User+Guides/User+Guides.htm

where you can get the manual for the Westell 7500.

#2 What is the model of that Airport?

For example, Airport Express?

Airport, Extreme Base Station?

^^

0 Likes
Ramblegrrl

AirPort Extreme 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

Despite it's title, did you follow http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

?

0 Likes
Ramblegrrl

Thanks, followed instructions but now can't even connect with ethernet. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 I used Google to look up AirPort Extreme manual.

#2 Go get the manual / user's guide and follow the directions.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/AirPortExtreme_802.11n_UserGuide.pdf

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/airportextremebasestationsetupguide.pdf

^^^

0 Likes
Ramblegrrl

So I called support and they got me back on. I never found out what the problem was. And now again, a few hours later, I can not connect wireless.  

0 Likes
alaskagrrl
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a Mac user too -- I gave up on the Westell Device and bought an Airport Express.  Had the same troubles as you.  Just moving the Westell to another power outlet erased all the configuration and took me offline.  Hooked the A/P Express up to the ethernet port of the Westell 7500 and have had no troubles since.  

Now I can print wirelessly and pump music remotely.  The only remnant is a helpless network that shows up in my choices, with a numbers-only identifier that's locked. 

As far as I'm concerned, it can stay that way, and power outages don't seem to affect the combination of these 2 wireless networks at all, well, the Mac Network remains unaffected.

Way to go Macintosh !  Elegant device as well....

joek44
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't know about the router you're talking about but i've never had any trouble but just wiring the Fios modem directly to a Mac Airport, Airport Extreme or Time Capsule and working from the usual Mac generated wireless net.  The same thing worked previously with a Comcast modem.  I think there is one setting on the Airport side that has to be set a bridge.  Don't know if this will help but it seems that anytime i can separate myself from the Window world my problems drop 100%.

jdhopki

I also have a Westell 7500 for my verizon DSL.  I currently have a PC connected via ethernet and an iMac, iPad, Iphone4, xBox, and ASUS laptop all connected wirelessly to the 7500's wireless net  with WEP.  Can I connect an Airport Extreme using the WAN on the AE to an ethernet port on the 7500 and have all of my wireless devices connect to the AE router?  Can I still have the PC and xBox connected directly to the Westell 7500 or do I need to use the Airport utility to connect the PC to the AE network? Do I have to disable the router capability on the Westell 7500 so it is only a Modem, if so, how do I disable the it?  Thanks in advance

0 Likes