Westell 7500 drops DSL connection several times a day
amesburian

Okay so ive had this problem for several weeks and ive about had it with verizon.

everything started off fine at first i had the modem bridged to my netgear router (because its a crap shoot and not powerful enough to run 2 xbox's and hardly 1) and for two weeks it was good till my house was struck by lightning and my router broke. i purchased the same router and reset the westell 7500 and bridged it again.

NOW for the past month about 3-4 times a day my dsl light on my westell will go from solid to flashing and all of sudden drop both me and everyone on my connection.

I have talked to several crappy tier 2 reps, and tier 3's with no fix still.

fix my dam problem

0 Likes
Re: Westell 7500 drops DSL connection several times a day
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Flashing DSL light indicates sync issues. It doesn't mean the Westell 7500 is messed up necessarily. After a lightning strike, I would be rather suspicious of your home's wiring being the culprit, or some device tied to the line being damaged. Lightning can do mysterious things.

Start off by giving us your modem's Transceiver Statistics. You should be able to find them at http://192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp or by visiting http://192.168.1.1/ and clicking System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and then Transceiver Statistics. Just copy and paste the results on that page for us.

0 Likes
amesburian

no, it is not my wiring. i have been on the phone several times with techs and they keep closing my tickets after telling me my line is working properly. this happened after i reset it and added my new router.

this is how i bridged it

>network connections>broadband dsl>vc's edit>

switched protocol to bridge and mode to bridge.

network connections>LAN>

i UNCHECKED private lan dhcp server and kept private lan checked

i waited for it to apply and reboot and then it works.

then after a few hours i will be on my xbox/computer at the same time as my father/brother/gf and all of a sudden everyone will get dropped the dsl light will flash then it will reconnect and tur solid. sometimes i need manually go into my router and click connect and re enter my ppoe username/password and manual connect that way.

does verizon supply just a modem. not a two in one gaf like the westell 7500

0 Likes
amesburian

also i noticed after unchecking private lan dhcp server i cannot get back into my modem via 192.168.1.1 or by plugging a ethernet cable to it via LAN. so me getting you the trans stats are impossible unless i reset the modem once more

0 Likes
amesburian
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data PathFAST

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)1790447
Margin (dB)10.120.3
Line Attenuation (dB)47.025.8
Transmit Power (dBm)11.912.4

just reset my westell and rebridged it with one change, selected routed bridge now im just waiting for the dsl to drop out again 

0 Likes
amesburian

<script src="http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=ww1V0Ra7"></script>

and this is my log information, dsl just dropped

0 Likes
amesburian

fixed my own **bleep** problem. goes to show how much you tier two reps dont know.

better look out because im gunning for your job.

if anyone has the same problem as me (dsl light crashed and reconnects on bridged westell 7500) i have the solution

0 Likes
Cburg1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Westell 6100 and a wireless router. The 6100 drops out mid afternoon on weekdays. I have had this problem for years now. I think the line gets overloaded each day about this time, but Verizon does not seem to care. 

Will your fix help me?

Thanks!

Mike

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cburg wrote:

I have the Westell 6100 and a wireless router. The 6100 drops out mid afternoon on weekdays. I have had this problem for years now. I think the line gets overloaded each day about this time, but Verizon does not seem to care. 

Will your fix help me?

Thanks!

Mike

Please start a new thread with this info in it..

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the LAN IP of the wireless router?

b) What is the brand and model of your wireless router?

c) Did you put the Westell 6100 into bridge mode?

d) If you put the Westell 6100 into bridge mode, did you change the LAN IP of it?

e) While I suspect your Wireless router has a built in switch in it: Do you have a switch (or hub) that is not part of a router?

f) Do you know how to setup a Static IP?

0 Likes
BCos1

I feel your pain.  You can go to the blogs and see my post BCOS we have had this problem in our neighborhood since JUNE almost a year and it just gets worse and worse.  We all keep telling them it is the Westall router/modem but they don't seem to want to believe it.  We are also at the end of the line so the router/modem will not reset itself like the people that live close to the box.

Talking to tech support and getting technicians to come check it doesn't help either.

0 Likes