Westell 7500 internet light drops 6-7 times daily
Not applicable

I have been having connectivity issues with my dsl connection. The Westell is used for wireless only, no LAN connections are hooked up on the Westell. I have hooked a corded phone up to the phone jack and the dial tone is not stacticy although there is a spliter on it one side is for the phone with a filter on it and the other side has no filter and is used for the dsl line to the modem. There is DirecTV satellite reciver and satellite close by if that has any effect on the dsl service.

These are my transeiver statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data PathFAST

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)3360544
Margin (dB)26.46.0
Line Attenuation (dB)15.05.0
Transmit Power (dBm)5.5-2.-6

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Westell 7500 internet light drops 6-7 times daily
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The DirecTV Receiver only affects the DSL if it is connected to the phone line without a filter. If it has a filter, it could be possible it's injecting noise closer to the voice frequencies (which affects your upload which is problematic), but if it is you should be able to tell by listening in on the phone for any changes in audio when you unplug and replug the receiver with it running.

Your line is pretty close to the source of the DSL connection, so distance shouldn't be a problem. You might want to try taking your modem out to the NID to see if you can obtain better statistics out there. If they don't improve, and if your upload isn't running at 864kbps with at least a margin of 10dB, I'd get Verizon out to fix it. Granted, if you're on a Catena remote, from what I've been told and what I've seen there's a bug with them that causes the margin to show at 6dB all the time (but if that's what the SNR is, it could actually be a good thing, too?). In that case, things change, but your upstream must be holding 864kbps solidly.

0 Likes
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

When the Internet light drops, does the DSL light drop at the same time?

0 Likes
Liam5
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue - my Internet connection via this Westell 7500 router drops several times a day, while the Wireless and DSL indicators show connectivity.  I have only broadband with VZ (no landline service), and this issue began with occasional frequency about 3 months back (May 2012).  It has become an extremely annoying and frustrating issue - especially for the speed and cost.

Please, someone, advise?  I refuse to contact VZ tech support directly because - very long story made short - after my LAST call, I lost ALL service from them just before their strike in PA, and then had to wait for 2 months for service restoration.  Worse yet, I should have documented the details of the billing nightmare I encountered when the services were restored; it would have made PA's PUC hair stand on end.

Thank you.

0 Likes