Westell G90-610015-20 firmware/modem uprade?/download speeds?
systemg33k

Hello.

1. I have a Westell g90-610015-20 which I cannot find a firmware upgrade for (Current: VER:5.01.00.06). Can someone point me to it?

2. Should I ask Verizon for an upgrade modem as it may have a better connection? Will it be free? Will it include Wi-Fi on the modem/router?

3. I'm getting max 110kb/s on downloads is that around the range I should get on a 1184 KBps Down connection?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Westell G90-610015-20 firmware/modem uprade?/download speeds?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're getting the paid-for speed. Only way to get more is to pay for more.

Your modem also has the latest firmware. VERIZON will install new firmware for you when they come available to the modem. Since the Westell 6100 is old and considered end of life by Verizon, there is likely going to be a lack of firmware updates for the foreseeable future. The Westell 6100 is a very solid modem, so until it dies entirely please continue to use it. For WiFi you can purchase an inexpensive wireless router, and then bridge your Westell 6100. That will work best, and the router can be used with any ISP of your choosing. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2
I think you have your bits (b) and Bytes (B) mixed up. 1 Byte = 8 bits. Your sync speed uses bits, 1184 kbps. 110 kBps seems pretty good. On average, you can get up to about 85% of your sync speed (due to overhead like provisioning).
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're getting the paid-for speed. Only way to get more is to pay for more.

Your modem also has the latest firmware. VERIZON will install new firmware for you when they come available to the modem. Since the Westell 6100 is old and considered end of life by Verizon, there is likely going to be a lack of firmware updates for the foreseeable future. The Westell 6100 is a very solid modem, so until it dies entirely please continue to use it. For WiFi you can purchase an inexpensive wireless router, and then bridge your Westell 6100. That will work best, and the router can be used with any ISP of your choosing. 

0 Likes
andezo

My modem says it's at 5.01.00.04, which wouldn't be the "current version" here. Where is this firmware update located, and how do I get one?

Thanks!

0 Likes