Westell VersaLink 327w Compatability Issues w/Blu-Ray Player & HDTV Via Wireless
smiley
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a question for anyone on the boards who can help me.

I have a Vz. issued Westell VersaLink modem/router model no. 327w,

and I'm trying to link the device through wireless with a Sony Blu-Ray Player with Wi-Fi apps.

Also trying to link the same modem/router via wireless to a 42 in. Vizio HDTV that also has Wi-Fi apps.

Tried both devices with modem security settings on&off, but can't connect either device to the wireless.

Is there any settings either on the modem/router or on the above mentioned devices that I haven't set properly?

Or is the VersaLink not compatable with those devices?

I have a desktop PC connected to the VersaLink via ethernet cable running win xp sp3, and a laptop PC using wireless running win 7 home prem.

The laptop works well with the VersaLink on wireless, so I don't think that there may be a issue with the modem/router that I know of.

Any assistance from the group would be very much appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Westell VersaLink 327w Compatability Issues w/Blu-Ray Player & HDTV Via Wireless
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

I had the same problem a few months ago. 

The problem turned out to be the version of the firmware inside the 327W.  Updating the firmware fixed the problem.

Is your firmware the blue-and-white variety or the red-and-black varitey?  The way you tell is to crank up the command interface by sending your browser to http://dslrouter and looking at the color scheme of the interface.  If you have the blue-and-white firmware, you need new firmware.

The problem doesn't affect all devices.  The laptop and the 327W are apparently compatible, but the blu-ray and the 327W might still not be compatible.

Re: Westell VersaLink 327w Compatability Issues w/Blu-Ray Player & HDTV Via Wireless
smiley
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info.

I checked the colors that you mentioned on the screen, and indeed I have blue & white.

How do I update the firmware?

RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

I looked up my notes on the firmware upgrade.  Here's what I wrote down:

The website is: download.verizon.net

The page is:  A90-327W15.rel

The version of the firmware after the update is 4.04.03.00.

It's red and black.

All this is from last July, so things may have changed.  Good luck.

Jeff140

I have the same problem and am curious if the information supplied is still valid for my area.  Frontier has taken over as our ISP and I got an error trying to get the download.  Thanks for the help.  I have been trying for 3 weeks to get a player to connect.

0 Likes
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

I can no longer find the page where I got the firmware upgrade.

You might want to start here:

http://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_contentDisplay&case=VersaLin...

It looks promising.

Jeff140

I really appreciate the help, the link does look promising except I can't get to the second page and don't believe I still have an active account to try and login to verizon.com.  Prior to reading this I contacted Frontier via a chat and the technician took me through getting an update online and it failed.  The technician told me the modem was too old to be updated.  What do you think?  You seem to know more than the folks at Frontier and I'm baffled by how difficult this is. Again, thanks for the help.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

You may have better luck on

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/frontiernet

0 Likes
smiley
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sorry that I haven't responded sooner to the original post about these issues. Due to the holidays and the fact that on the day after Christmas we had a bad snow storm which knocked out our power and caused my desktop PC to stop functioning (I suspect that the motherboard was damaged when the power went out), I haven't had the time to check out the links for the firmware as I need to replace my desktop. But as soon as I get a new desktop, I will check things out and let you know what happens.

Once again, Thanks.

0 Likes