What could be keeping me "slow"?
dmaldo1

Hello,

I ordered enhanced DSL on 2/28/15. The line was supposed to go from .5-1Mbps to 3.1-7 Mbps. I have an appointment for a tech to come out, but I was curious if anyone knew what might be keeping me from getting the faster speed. Thanks, and I look forward to your responses.

Sincerely,

Dan

0 Likes
Re: What could be keeping me "slow"?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

With DSL, the two most common issues that tend to keep the service slow are distance, and line quality. If you have a shoddy line, the DSL signal will not be as good to the modem and thus, speeds will be lower. Also, as line distance increases, attenuation increases which weakens the signal.

DSL operates on a series of tones, all of which operate on various frequencies above the frequencies used to carry voice. The higher frequency tones will attenuate and degrade faster on longer or damaged lines, than the lower frequencies will.

The tech may be visiting to swap equipment (if by chance you are using something like a Westell 2200 or older), or to do some line maintenance to help ensure service stability.

0 Likes
tonybone

They sent message on 3/5/2015 that connection problems. Suppose to befixed today at 1845HR.

0 Likes
dmaldo1

Hello,

I have the d-link 2750B modem, is that current enough to handle the upgrade in line speed? I bought it October of 2013 when we went to a limitied plan with VZW for our iphones. We have had problems with the line before, so I suspect it is line degradation as you stated. Thanks for the tip, now we'll wait until they come until the 24th to fix the problem.

Sincerely,

Dan

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

They couldn't come until the 24th?  Wow.  If it was a much shorter delay (like 3-5 days) I was gonna say, it's probably them having to do some work at the central office - like switching your line to a different port.

You should feel lucky that 3.1-7 was even offered to you!

0 Likes
dmaldo1

PJ,

They could have come out days ago. But I'm not home the hours that they offered until the 24th. The operator I called about my bill increasing had a coupon to give me the faster speed for a cheaper price, but the problem with my line has kept me @ .5 - 1Mbps. It's the house because they called telling me that they had trouble increasing the speed, hence my posting here.

Sincerely,

Dan

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The D-Link modem is good for any speed to 24Mbps down as it is an ADSL2+ modem. As long as Verizon certifies the line for a higher speed after repairs and the line takes the speed you should have no problem. 

0 Likes
dmaldo1

Smith, thank you very much for all your assistance!

Sincerely,
{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome. Let us know if you need any additional help or information.

0 Likes
dmaldo1
I will post the result of what they find once they trouble shoot on the 24th.
0 Likes