What is Verizon's planned response to federal directive OMB M-21-07?
Andrew2068

Has Verizon communicated its planned response to the federal directive (OMB M-21-07) requiring that agencies begin migrating public-facing websites and services to IPv6-only by the end of federal FY2021 (essentially end of September 2021)?

It would seem that the risk is that sites and services could go dark for residential customers whose ISPs either don't fully support IPv6 for customers, or who are not offering gateway/proxy services for IPv4-only customers.

0 Likes
Re: What is Verizon's planned response to federal directive OMB M-21-07?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon is still experimenting with IPv6 on the Fios residential side. Once IPv6 is rolled out on a large scale, Fios residential will become dual-stack (both IPv4 and IPv6).

Verizon Wireless mobile LTE and 5G are already IPv6-only network. LTE and 5G Home Internet is already dual-stack, I believe.

While I do not comment on the merits of the memorandum, I find that transitioning to an IPv6-only network is unnecessary for the server side. Unless a server has ran out of the IPv4 address, why would it need IPv6 addresses? An IPv4 server can be easily accessed by IPv6 clients through a NAT64, which is already implemented by Verizon Wireless and Wireline. In fact, every IPv4 address is already mapped to a reserved and unique IPv6 address (for more information see RFC 6890 and 4291). Verizon has not run out of the IPv4 addresses yet, and probably won't in the foreseeable future.