What type of user am I? (CABLE CARD)
ps2baseball
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I use a Tivo Bolt with a cable card.  I am trying to setup Eero mesh and ditch my fios router.  Am I considered a TV client of standalone internet?  I don't use Fios TV boxes or on demand.  I am just not sure what instructions to follow and I don't want bridge mode.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What type of user am I? (CABLE CARD)
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other users here.

Since you don't have Verizon set-top-boxes, you can likely configure your Eero as a non-TV customer.  Verizon set-top-boxes really like to have a Verizon router as primary.  I don't believe the cable cards need a Verizon router.  I suggest you try configuring the Eero as a primary router and remove the Verizon router.  If the cable card still works, you'll have your answer.  Note you should confirm it works over several days and make sure it can re-authenticate after a power cycle.

One other note; I don't know all the details about the TiVO's.  The Cable Card needs a LAN connection.  If the TiVO provides that by Ethernet or WiFi through your router, it should work with the Eero.  If it uses MoCA to talk to the router, you'll need a MoCA adapter to replace the functionality provided by the Verizon router.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other users here.

Since you don't have Verizon set-top-boxes, you can likely configure your Eero as a non-TV customer.  Verizon set-top-boxes really like to have a Verizon router as primary.  I don't believe the cable cards need a Verizon router.  I suggest you try configuring the Eero as a primary router and remove the Verizon router.  If the cable card still works, you'll have your answer.  Note you should confirm it works over several days and make sure it can re-authenticate after a power cycle.

One other note; I don't know all the details about the TiVO's.  The Cable Card needs a LAN connection.  If the TiVO provides that by Ethernet or WiFi through your router, it should work with the Eero.  If it uses MoCA to talk to the router, you'll need a MoCA adapter to replace the functionality provided by the Verizon router.

ps2baseball
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I am on ethernet right now.  I couldn't get the MoCA figured out!

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

So, your TiVo uses MoCA for Internet connection? If that's the case, you need a MoCA adapter. A MoCA adapter is built into Verizon routers. If you own a Verizon router and wants to keep it, you can put the router into the bridge mode and use it as a MoCA adapter. Otherwise, you can buy a MoCA 1.1 adapter for cheap, such as WCB3000N for less than $20 on Ebay. Be aware that MoCA 1.1 adapters are limited to 175Mbps throughput, so if you need the MoCA as your network backbone, MoCA 1.1 cannot be your solution.

ps2baseball
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tivo is using ethernet.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If nothing needs network connection through MoCA, you don't need a Verizon router or a MoCA adapter.