When is verizon going to upgrade fios speed tiers?
Jarablue
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd like to upgrade my speed from 35/35 plan.  Does anyone know when Verizon is going to upgrade the fios speed tiers?  Compared to cable co docsis 3, fios is starting to look and feel slow.

0 Likes
Re: When is verizon going to upgrade fios speed tiers?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon does have higher speed tiers if you really want the additional speed. Their 50M/20M package is certainly feeling dated since it hasn't been updated in... 5 years? but they did introduce a 150M/75M package for a good deal of money a month, as fast but unfortunate as that might be. Now if what you're asking for is a speed boost on all the tiers, Verizon tends to boost the speeds every year to a year and a half. Lately these boosts have been silent. The 35Mbps tier, for example tends to clock in 43 or so Megabits on the download and about 38Mbps on the upload. Since you have that package, I'd check to see what you're really getting.

I would like to see 50Mbps/20Mbps go to 100Mbps/100Mbps sometime in the near future, though. 150Mbps/75Mbps goes to 250Mbps/250Mbps. That'd be very nice to see and by no means will DOCSIS 3.0 get that kind of upload any time soon.

As it currently stands, the highest DOCSIS 3.0 package available to me is 50Mbps/5Mbps. FiOS's basic package in my area still beats that plan in upload by an additional megabit. The legacy 50Mbps/20Mbps speed smokes that cable connection in upload, and is also $20 cheaper a month believe it or not.

Here, the packages run as follows:

1Mbps/384kbps DSL > Runs at 1Mbps/340kbps. Comparative Cable package: 768kbps/128kbps. ($25 for DSL and Cable).

3Mbps/1Mbps > Runs at 5Mbps/2Mbps. Comparative Cable Package: 10Mbps/1Mbps ($30/m FiOS, $40/m Cable).

15Mbps/5Mbps > Runs at 20Mbps/6Mbps. Comparative cable package: 15Mbps/2Mbps (~$50/m for Cable, $45 FiOS).

25Mbps/25Mbps > Runs at 30Mbps/26Mbps. Comparative Cable package: 30Mbps/5Mbps ($60/m for Cable, $55/m for FiOS).

35Mbps/35Mbps > Runs at 43Mbps/38Mbps, available if you have Phone or TV with FiOS. Comparative Cable package: 50Mbps/5Mbps (Same price as the 25Mbps for FiOS, Cable is $100/m).

50Mbps/20Mbps > Runs at 51Mbps/20Mbps. Comparative Cable package: 50Mbps/5Mbps. ($80/m FiOS, $100/m Cable)

150Mbps/35Mbps > Runs at 155Mbps/75+Mbps. Comparative Cable package: 50Mbps/5Mbps ($200/m FiOS, $100/m Cable).

So I guess it really depends on what market you live in, I guess. A Comcast or Cablevision market i'm sure would have higher speed Cable packages, and in the case of Cablevision, ones that cost less and that would be where I'd expect Verizon to boost speeds. Other than that, FiOS does have the overall edge in my area regardless, as long as you don't cheap out and go with the unadvertised packages.