Which devices support Self-Organizing Networks (SON)?
jstevans

I understand the idea of the Self-Organizing Networks (SON).  But, which devices support it, is there a list somewhere?  Does iPhone SE2, iPad V4, Pixel 4, HP Spectre X360 laptops, HP Envy printers, etc.?

And for those devices that do support Self-Organizing Networks, how does one activate it on each device?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Which devices support Self-Organizing Networks (SON)?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

SON is not inherently useless. If a user has legacy wireless devices at home, then SON would do more harm than good. Notice that this is a conditional statement. SON is not a useless feature created by the developers, but rather certain user environment at home prevents it from being useful.

The majority of low to middle-tier IoT devices use legacy wireless chips and protocol, e.g. 802.11n (WiFi 4). It is recommended to hardwire all legacy wireless devices with Ethernet for two reasons. One is to enable the use of SON. Second is for better security. Wired devices are more manageable through a managed switch than wireless devices, which are prone to hacking over the air.

From the list of devices you gave, I would definitely hardwire the printer. If you have other IoT devices like cameras, definitely hardwire them as well.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@jstevans wrote:

I understand the idea of the Self-Organizing Networks (SON).  But, which devices support it, is there a list somewhere?  Does iPhone SE2, iPad V4, Pixel 4, HP Spectre X360 laptops, HP Envy printers, etc.?

And for those devices that do support Self-Organizing Networks, how does one activate it on each device?

Thanks.

Actually it depends on the device and if they use 2.4 or 5 band wifi. Some devices like cameras will not function on 5G right now.  As to a list? I don't think there is one. The problem with SON (Self Organizing Network) is it can mess up how a device connects to your network. I would just turn it off its more harm than good at present.

Even non verizon routers newer versions (Netgear, Asus etc.) are using the SON but it is not on by default and must be enabled.

0 Likes
jstevans

Very disappointed that Fios deployed, and touts, a very useful feature with no easily found documentation to enable users to take advantage of it.

Darned annoying.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

SON is not inherently useless. If a user has legacy wireless devices at home, then SON would do more harm than good. Notice that this is a conditional statement. SON is not a useless feature created by the developers, but rather certain user environment at home prevents it from being useful.

The majority of low to middle-tier IoT devices use legacy wireless chips and protocol, e.g. 802.11n (WiFi 4). It is recommended to hardwire all legacy wireless devices with Ethernet for two reasons. One is to enable the use of SON. Second is for better security. Wired devices are more manageable through a managed switch than wireless devices, which are prone to hacking over the air.

From the list of devices you gave, I would definitely hardwire the printer. If you have other IoT devices like cameras, definitely hardwire them as well.

jstevans

Thank you for the reply.  Please note that I did not describe SON as "inherently useless" nor did I suggest it was "a useless feature created by the developers."  Rather, I was critical of Fios for deploying what I described as "a very useful feature with no easily found documentation."  An assertion I stand by.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@jstevans wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  Please note that I did not describe SON as "inherently useless" nor did I suggest it was "a useless feature created by the developers."  Rather, I was critical of Fios for deploying what I described as "a very useful feature with no easily found documentation."  An assertion I stand by.

The issue is it’s new on most users. Yes it can be turned on and off with the Fios app. And the makers of other routers also have this function (SON) but are set to off by default.

the cang household gave a great answer in explaining about the devices and WiFi standards. I personally do not use SON I know my cameras are 2.4 and I recently bought a newer camera system that can use the 2.4 and 5 but for the most part my native devices like apple iPads or iPhones or my tablets and laptop can use both bands.

note that most printers use the 2.4 and I have not seen any that connect at 5 .

most products today are look everything up via google. I find it often times easier than the documents that come with the product. (Booklets)

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I, likewise, have SON disabled in my 3100 router and 3200 extenders. I reserve 5GHz for computers/tablets and 2.4GHz for smartphones and everything else. 🙂

I've cooled off somewhat on WIFI. Nowadays, I'll use a cable when possible.