Why can't I use MoCA alongside my Verizon network extender?
YoSoiBoi
Enthusiast - Level 2

image upload wasnt working here's imgur link https://imgur.com/tp1Jmko 

So my issue is whenever I have the WCB6200Q extender working (Coax light is green), my goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapter in my room (sectioned in dotted red) doesn't work. My room gets pretty bad WiFi signal so I wanted a wired connection. I have a coax wall outlet so I got the MoCA adapter and Etherenet switch to try and get a wired connection. Even when MoCA in my room is working its only 120-140mbps.

From what I understand the extender is also a MoCA device, is there something with my network that it can only support 1 MoCA device? I'm thinking maybe I need to upgrade the connection from the ONT to router to be Ethernet. Pretty sure it's purely coax right now. I assume upgrading would also help my limited wired connection speeds of about 120-140mbps.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can't I use MoCA alongside my Verizon network extender?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

WCB6200Q with Verizon firmware does not work well with MoCA 2.5 devices. One way to get around this issue is to reduce the number of channel bounding on your goCoax 2.5, but that setup is complicated and cannot be guaranteed to work 100% of the time. ONT WAN MoCA has no effect on your situation, given it uses the C4 band instead of the D band where other MoCA devices dwell. 

The best solution would be to replace all WCB6200Q's either with newer wireless coax bridges such as E3200 ($200 each) or wired coax bridges and establish an Ethernet connection from those to WCB6200Q.

If you looking for cheaper alternatives of replacing WCB6200Q, you can grab another used G1100 from Ebay under $40 then configure it into bridge mode.

View solution in original post

YoSoiBoi
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Images are not displayed until a Moderator checks them over.

If possible, I'd have Verizon switch the Internet source from coax to ethernet and connect the router using a suitable cable.

Can ethernet cable be easily run from the router to the extender?

YoSoiBoi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure about easily running ethernet from the router to extender. Some cable fishing would need to be done. Wouldn't just changing the ONT to router connection to etherent boost the whole network? Even the extender if it was still on coax?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I remember the old extender had some limitations when connected via coaxial cable, but, I can't recall the specifics.

One of the forum leads can fill in the details. 🙂

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

WCB6200Q with Verizon firmware does not work well with MoCA 2.5 devices. One way to get around this issue is to reduce the number of channel bounding on your goCoax 2.5, but that setup is complicated and cannot be guaranteed to work 100% of the time. ONT WAN MoCA has no effect on your situation, given it uses the C4 band instead of the D band where other MoCA devices dwell. 

The best solution would be to replace all WCB6200Q's either with newer wireless coax bridges such as E3200 ($200 each) or wired coax bridges and establish an Ethernet connection from those to WCB6200Q.

If you looking for cheaper alternatives of replacing WCB6200Q, you can grab another used G1100 from Ebay under $40 then configure it into bridge mode.