Wifi capped at 30mbps on a gigabit connection
ACandAC
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been really upset that I do get the full 1gbps on wired but on wifi, I only get 30mbps max, and quite frankly, that's not enough for what I need to do when I am somewhere else in my house. At first, I thought it was my phone, so I tried my laptop, and they both cap at the same 30mbps, other devices as well.

This leads me to the router I'm renting from Verizon with my FiOS service. 

Is this a limit? Because if it is, I'm buying my own router immediately. If it can be uncapped, please tell me where in the router settings it is to change it, thank you. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wifi capped at 30mbps on a gigabit connection
jonjones1
Legend

@ACandAC wrote:

I've been really upset that I do get the full 1gbps on wired but on wifi, I only get 30mbps max, and quite frankly, that's not enough for what I need to do when I am somewhere else in my house. At first, I thought it was my phone, so I tried my laptop, and they both cap at the same 30mbps, other devices as well.

Is this a limit? Because if it is, I'm buying my own router immediately. If it can be uncapped, please tell me where in the router settings it is to change it, thank you. 

No caps on WiFi, just device specifics and distance and obstructions etc. which can play havoc. Verizon Quantum Gateway Router is junk in my opinion. They have internal antenna to broadcast WiFi and what you should have is external antenna which can penetrate better.

now not knowing how your home is set up, you might want to change the channel on the router to a better non congested one.

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

This may help. However if you are not using Fios tv you are better off with a high end customer owned router. You also save on $10 rental costs each month.

oh by the way, even on direct ethernet from your device to the FiOS Quantum Gateway Router you must use verizons website https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

verizon accepts no other. But on using your own router that site will no longer function.

and no one achieves 1028/1028 gigabyte 

verizon states up to 940/880 speeds.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are no hard limits.

But there are some technical ones.

1) Are you connecting to 2.4g or 5g WiFi?

2) is it all devices or just some?

3) If you have an android device, download an app called WiFi analyzer. It can help diagnose WiFi issues including signal  strength and other routers on the same channel.

jonjones1
Legend

@ACandAC wrote:

No caps on WiFi, just device specifics and distance and obstructions etc. which can play havoc. Verizon Quantum Gateway Router is junk in my opinion. They have internal antenna to broadcast WiFi and what you should have is external antenna which can penetrate better.

now not knowing how your home is set up, you might want to change the channel on the router to a better non congested one.

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

This may help. However if you are not using Fios tv you are better off with a high end customer owned router. You also save on $10 rental costs each month.

oh by the way, even on direct ethernet from your device to the FiOS Quantum Gateway Router you must use verizons website https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

verizon accepts no other. But on using your own router that site will no longer function.

and no one achieves 1028/1028 gigabyte 

verizon states up to 940/880 speeds.

ACandAC
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've tested both 2ghz and 5ghz, and it seems the router is hardcapping wifi at 30mbps.

I've tested from right near and far away from the router (same speed.)

Update: Magically, at least on my laptop, the speed has now increased to 300mbps! Not sure what happened, though I did some tinkering with Windows 10 previously, but that speed increase is more than fine enough through wifi. I don't care how the phone speeds are, as long as my laptop is fine.

Thanks for the input!

By the way, I've actually achieved higher than 1024 once, but it wasn't consistent. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@ACandAC wrote:

Thanks for the input!

By the way, I've actually achieved higher than 1024 once, but it wasn't consistent. 

I also did higher once and posted it at another forum, the guy who replied just laughed and said it was just a fluke. 😀

0 Likes