Wifi device limit
ZebraNetwork

Hello, is there a limit to the number of wifi devices you can connect at one time to a FiOS router?  If so, how does the router determine who to allow and who to disconnect? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wifi device limit
tns
Master - Level 2

There are practical limits, but it will try and connect up to 254.  Practical limits include how many ports can be mapped in Nat, bandwidth limits, and radio interference.  They hit much lower.  First come first served as far as how many can connect, no one is disconnected to allow a new connection.

View solution in original post

tns
Master - Level 2

There are practical limits, but it will try and connect up to 254.  Practical limits include how many ports can be mapped in Nat, bandwidth limits, and radio interference.  They hit much lower.  First come first served as far as how many can connect, no one is disconnected to allow a new connection.

ZebraNetwork

Hi.  Thanks for the reply.  I had read somewhere that there was a 4 device limit.  I am experiencing very weird issues trying to connect my work laptop.  Sometimes it connects, other times it doesn't.  It has no issue connecting to any other wifi network elsewhere (work, on the train, etc.).  My tech group at work has checked all the drivers, etc. and claim there is no issue with the laptop.  ??

0 Likes
ZebraNetwork

FYI - According to FiOS Tech Support, there is a limit of 16 devices.  Not that this is my issue. 

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@ZebraNetwork wrote:

FYI - According to FiOS Tech Support, there is a limit of 16 devices.  Not that this is my issue. 

Totally incorrect.  No specific limit just the limit of how many can pratically connect.  The default in the routers is all that can connect up to the 254.  True about 16 might be a practical limit.

weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

I seem to remember that there is a maximum device limit based on internal tables of the router, not the 'theoretical' limit of 254. This limit may be firmware-dependent, and around 10.  Or 16.

Grumpy_24_7

On my (formerly Verizon FiOS) now Frontier router (MI424WR-GEN3I) I currently have 34 devices, roughly half are WiFi connected (phones, tablets, laptops, etc.) and the rest hard wired (PC's, game consoles, cameras, printers).  Years ago, I opted for the FiOS "Gamers Bundle" offering 50Mbps (both up and down), which over time has been slowly increased (via free "loyalty credits") to 75/75.  I typically see Speed Test results in the 80's-90's.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.