Re: Will IoT devices work properly in the G3100 guest Wi-Fi subnet?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thank you for the information.

Addendum: users should now be able to leave the SON on while connecting all IoTs to the separate SSID.

Observer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

...The G3100 will only allow 10 connections on the guest network according to the December 2019 post on this forum at https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Number-of-devices-on-guest-network/m-p/890676#M78681.  I found it because I could not make an 11th connection either.

I can only speculate on why Verizon put this limitation on the firmware.  I don't imagine it was because Verizon wanted its customers to be at greater risk from hackers.  In any case, you will not be able to secure your home network by using the guest network if you have more than 10 IoT (Internet of Things) devices.

I am a little late to this thread, having only recently installed a G3100/E3200 combo.  I was keen to try out the isolated guest network, and surprised to learn that the DHCP server is only handing out 10 addresses.  (I have also posted my opinion that the new IoT SSID, which is not isolated, is inappropriate for IoT devices.)

I have a couple of suggestions that might work.  If so, they would allow one to use dozens of IoT devices on the guest network:

• manually configure static addresses in IoT devices where you can (xxx.xxx.200.y, where y>11)
  • configure a second DHCP server to hand out dynamic addresses above the range handled by the G3100's DHCP server.  I.e., the range xxx.xxx.200.y-254.  The second DHCP server could be connected:
    • via WiFi on the guest network, or
    • via ethernet once we know the VLAN ID of the guest network
0 Likes
Observer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jlg2 wrote:

The green solution I posted a couple of days ago needs a correction.  The G3100 will only allow 10 connections on the guest network according to the December 2019 post on this forum at https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Number-of-devices-on-guest-network/m-p/890676#M78681.  I found it because I could not make an 11th connection either.

I can only speculate on why Verizon put this limitation on the firmware.  I don't imagine it was because Verizon wanted its customers to be at greater risk from hackers.  In any case, you will not be able to secure your home network by using the guest network if you have more than 10 IoT (Internet of Things) devices.

See my latest post in the forum regarding "caps" on Guest network.  I was able to add 11 devices in devices with latest firmware (August 2021).  Also, I offered a workaround if caps are still present in the latest firmware.

0 Likes
Observer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jlg2 wrote:

The green solution I posted a couple of days ago needs a correction.  The G3100 will only allow 10 connections on the guest network according to the December 2019 post on this forum at https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Number-of-devices-on-guest-network/m-p/890676#M78681.  I found it because I could not make an 11th connection either.

I can now report successfully seeing 20 devices on my Guest network (G3100+E3200), so the 10-device limitation (undocumented) appears to have been removed from a later firmware release.

Note that the Guest network traffic is isolated on its own VLAN with its own subnet addresses.  This makes it suitable for IoT devices.  

Unfortunately, the relatively new IoT network supported by the G3100/E3200) is NOT isolated from the primary network.  Therefore, hacked IoT devices on the IoT network will have access to all traffic/devices on the primary network (although, ironically, none of the traffic/devices on the Guest Network).  

Without the previously-reported, 10-device limit on the Guest network, it appears to be the preferred network for IoT devices when using G3100/E3200 until Verizon properly implements an isolated IoT network.  In the meantime, don't make incorrect assumption that the G3100/E3200 IoT network is isolated, and meets FBI recommendation to isolate IoT devices from your primary network.

0 Likes