Windows 7 desktop and laptop browsers stopped working even though connected to internet
adj3

I have Fios connection for more that a year and I have ActionTec router.  Yesterday 2 of windows 7 devices stopped working on the browsers .   None of the browsers IE, Chrome, Firefox work on these machines.

I know the internet is connected as I can see ip addresses using ipconfig and use ftp to remote machines.   I also see downloads for autoupdates are working as network panels show downloads going on.

I have Kaspersky and it shows no virs activity.  

On network panel it shows devices are connected to the router. I also tried wired connection but browsers on win 7 are not working.   

I have tried winsock reset, ipconfig /renew and netip reset as some of users have sggested.   I have also tried sing 8.8.8.8 with 8.8.4.4 but still same issue.

Please help

0 Likes
Re: Windows 7 desktop and laptop browsers stopped working even though connected to internet
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

As a first troubleshooting step I suggest you temporarily disable Kaspersky and see if that makes a difference.

0 Likes
Re: Windows 7 desktop and laptop browsers stopped working even though connected to internet
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I'd go into internet options and under connections tab and check if a proxy was added.

commonplace now a days for malware and virus's to add proxy settings that divert your traffic, and unintended consequence is that you lose your connection when they are done siphoning whatever it was they were trying to get.

With a proxy server configured, you will still be able to ping outbound, and tcp udb functions will work fine like downloads and ftp, and torrents, but anything that requires a domain may get invalid responses when their server goes offline.

check them here.

when you get to this window, leave everything unchecked, OR only the first auto detect

0 Likes