Wired Connection Hanging When Wireless Gaming
gamer42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Whenever I start up a game on a laptop via wireless, the wired desktop has major connectivity issues. It's slow or just outright hangs when loading web pages or streaming low Res content.

The game is old and I didn't expect that it was using much bandwidth, but I put a monitor on the laptop and the game is not transferring much data back and forth (only a few MB per minute at max). However, it is a constant level of communication. I also ran a speed test (dslreports) and my most recent results at 75/68 so it's not for a lack of available bandwidth but my connection had some bad bufferbloat when uploading. The final rating was a C, but the peak during upload was around 1400ms.

Any ideas on what to check?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wired Connection Hanging When Wireless Gaming
gamer42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Disabling QoS on the router fixed the problem.  It was apparently prioritizing wireless connections over wired connections.

I hate routers with training wheels attached that you can't take off.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the brand, model and version of your router?

For example Actionec REV D

0 Likes
gamer42
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway model Fios-G1100

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If there is a setting for QoS, what it is set to? And please note not just on if it is on.

0 Likes
gamer42
Enthusiast - Level 2

For both the 2.4Ghz and 5GHz bands this "Wireless QoS (WMM)" and "WMM Power Save" are both "Enabled". There are no additional settings that I can find in the User Guide or in the router options that does beyond that.

0 Likes
gamer42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since there was no way to put in rules, I disabled QoS for both bands and the problem seems to be resolved. It's annoying that the router blocked all of the bandwidth for just a tiny amount of data going back and forth.  I'll post again in a few days with the final word.

0 Likes
gamer42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Disabling QoS on the router fixed the problem.  It was apparently prioritizing wireless connections over wired connections.

I hate routers with training wheels attached that you can't take off.