Wired network: ProLine® G90-6100 DSL modem
RRzepka
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would like to expand from a single connection on my desktop to a wired network throughout my home where I can plug in mutliple computers at the same time, but have an old style, Westell ProLine® G90-6100 DSL modem.   The Westell user manual indicates that I can route up to 253 users with a customer provided Ethernet hub.

So, can I have to replace the Westell ProLine DSL modem, or can I just plug on an Ethernet switch (e.g. an 8-port Leviton, model 47611-8PT) and be all set to go?

Please advise.   Help!

Re: Wired network: ProLine® G90-6100 DSL modem
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 I believe that you can..

a) disconnect your computer from the modem,

b) connect a hub/unmannged switch to the modem.

c) Then connect all of your computers to the hub/unmannged switch.

#2 But Before you doing anything else, let us check to be sure....

--

#1 Check the IP Address on your computer.

This means for example if you are on Windows XP..

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 With a web browser go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

#3 For now, ignore the IP Address range that is told there (since you are not checking your ports).

#4 On your computer do you have the same IP Address that is listed in the same pergraph as There is no standard governing the format of these machine names, so this is not something we can automatically determine for yo

?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you can connect a switch (unmanaged or managed) and use the Westell 6100 as a router. Only thing to it is to make sure the Uplink port is connected to the modem on the switch. I wouldn't suggest using a Hub.

As far as routing performance goes, the 6100 will probably choke if you send a ton of DNS queries at it or a ton of TCP/IP connections, but it should hold up reaonably well.

RRzepka
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately, the IP addresses are not the same - both the class C address and the host ID are different between what ipfconfig /all reports and the result from the URL.     In fact, the host name from the www.grc.com URL is listed as pool-X-Y-Z-aaa.washdc.east.verizon.net , where X.Y.X.aaa is the IP address reported back.

It would appear that I have change some setting - either on the PC or on the modem, but which one(s)?

-Robert

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If I've read that correctly, what you're seeing is normal. If the PCs all have different IP addresses and Host IDs, but the web page shows the same IP for each PC, that is perfectly fine and means things were done correctly. Since each PC shares the same Public IP address, the Westell is simply NATting your connections through that one IP, while providing each PC with Class C addresses for network connectivity.

RRzepka
Enthusiast - Level 3

Except, the IP address results I reported were for when I was still going from a single PC directly to the  ProLine 6100 DSL modem without having added the Ethernet switch.    Should I still be OK once I add the switch and another PC?

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RRzepka wrote:

Except, the IP address results I reported were for when I was still going from a single PC directly to the  ProLine 6100 DSL modem without having added the Ethernet switch.    Should I still be OK once I add the switch and another PC?

Yes, you will ok.

Also I agree with

Yes, you can connect a switch (unmanaged or managed) and use the Westell 6100 as a router. Only thing to it is to make sure the Uplink port is connected to the modem on the switch. I wouldn't suggest using a Hub.

As far as routing performance goes, the 6100 will probably choke if you send a ton of DNS queries at it or a ton of TCP/IP connections, but it should hold up reaonably well.

You can use a hub, but I don't recommend it.

I am not sure about all managed switches for sure. but if your managed switch has an IP Address.

Be sure it is setup to be in the same subnet and outside of the DHCP range of the Westell 6100.

For example if the subnet of the Westell is 192.168.1.x the managed switch should also be in the 192.168.1.x area/subnet.

For example of where to find the DHCP range:

#1 If your Westell has the Red and Black firmware, go to Advanced -> Private LAN

By red and Black firmware, I mean it looks like the screens at

http://screenshots.portforward.com/Westell/A90-750015-07/index.htm

#2 If your Westel has the White and Blue fimware, go to Configuration -> DHCP (Private LAN)

By White and Blue firwmare, I mean it looks lile the screens in the manual / user's guide at:

a) https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.westell.com/images/pdf/e90_6000_6100_6110_ug.pdf&embed...

b) Non Google Docs View http://www.westell.com/images/pdf/e90_6000_6100_6110_ug.pdf

#3 To log-in to the modem combo go to the Default Gateway that found your computer, and then try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

----

By outside of the DHCP range.

If the modem combo is at 192.168.1.1, the Starting IP Address is 192.168.1.16 and the Ending IP Address is 192.168.1.49, the IP address of this managed switch with an IP Address can be either:

a) Above 1 but below 16

b) OR Above 49 but below 255

For example 192.168.1.6

0 Likes