Wireless Quandary
Jamesber50

Fed up with Spectrum's 200mbps bandwidth, I signed up for FiOS today. Then I noticed their gateway router, (required for TV connectivity) only operates at 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz frequency. The problem there is those freqs and channels are completely saturated in my apartment. I can have LAN copy speeds of 2-3MB/s. The router I use today operates at 5.8ghz which gets my throughout up to 70MB/s. (I won't get into the problem that my subwoofer operates on this freq). I'm kind of left with the impression that FiOS might not work for me with their band limitaiton, especially as their cable boxes now also operate wirelessly. I'm thinking of cancelling the order. Any thoughts?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless Quandary
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

5.8 GHz is just a channel in the 5 GHz range. The FiOS Quantum Router or any other dual band router has a range of channel 36 to 165. For example channel 36 is 5170-5190 and channel 165 is 5815-5835. If you want you FiOS router to work specifically at 5.8 Ghz then login and change the channel from automatic to channel 165. The mini clients also don't have to be connected wireless. You can connect them with coax.

View solution in original post

Re: Wireless Quandary
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

5.8 GHz is just a channel in the 5 GHz range. The FiOS Quantum Router or any other dual band router has a range of channel 36 to 165. For example channel 36 is 5170-5190 and channel 165 is 5815-5835. If you want you FiOS router to work specifically at 5.8 Ghz then login and change the channel from automatic to channel 165. The mini clients also don't have to be connected wireless. You can connect them with coax.