Wireless Router Recommendation
Number-6
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry if this seems to be a simplistic question (my knowledge of such things is limited) ...

I have a desktop (HP Pavilion/Windows 7) connected by a Westell Model 6100 modem to Verizon's High-Speed Internet.

I would like to move the desktop to another room and avoid the trouble and expense of installing another DSL (or whatever) line, so I thought a wireless router would make sense.

Does anyone have a suggestion/recommendation?

Thank you for your assistance!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless Router Recommendation
Number-6
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your reply!

I have only one hard-wired DSL line in my condo unit (regular telephone to other jacks).  And I only want to move one desktop to another room.

Thought about installing a wireless router, but found a less expensive (and more secure) solution for this situation.

I purchased a powerline adapter kit (in this case, it was a Netgear 85).  Plugged the wall units in, attached the Ethernet cables, and everything worked fine.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't have any suggestion/recommendation for what wireless router to get, but I can give to you what I know...

#1 As long as you just want to move your computer, you could..

a) Turn off the DSL Modem and your computer.

b) After turning off the DSL mode and your computer, disconnectiing the cables.

c) Move the DSL modem and computer to the other room.

d) After moving the DSL mode and your computer, reconnecting the cables.

e) Turn on the DSL modem and your computer.

-

#2 If you need to have more than one computer online at the same time but without having two DSL lines with one DSL modem connected to each of the DSL line(s) OR if you want the DSL modem at the curent location, then it would make sense to get a wireless router.

#3 It would help that you know that there are modems that are modem combos.

So if you get a wireless router that is not a wireless modem combo and if you keep your Westell 6100, not as spare, I points to the info at

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

Some notes:

By not as spare, I mean it is still plugged in (to the power supply and phone line) and being used.

By WAP, it means Wireless Access Point.

By modem combo, it is a modem and router all-in-one.

If you have any questions, please ask.

0 Likes
Number-6
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your reply!

I have only one hard-wired DSL line in my condo unit (regular telephone to other jacks).  And I only want to move one desktop to another room.

Thought about installing a wireless router, but found a less expensive (and more secure) solution for this situation.

I purchased a powerline adapter kit (in this case, it was a Netgear 85).  Plugged the wall units in, attached the Ethernet cables, and everything worked fine.