Wireless connection problems
wnetmw1

I have a Westell 327W that I have been using since 2007 and have a couple of computers connected wirelessly to it.  At random times, none of the computers can communicate with the Westell, even though all the lights were flashing normally.   If the computer was already connected, you could not even get to the router page.  If you were trying to connect, the Westell would not establish a connection.  If I did a power reset, then everything would work again.  It was as though the firmware got itself into an infinite loop.

At first this would happen a few times a year.  Then it went to a few times a month.  Finally last week, it was several times a day, with one time taking three power resets to get it to work again, only to have it go out a few hours later.

Well, I figured some part in the Westell was failing.  I happen to have a barely used Actiontec GT704-WG with the Verizon firmware which I also got in 2007.  So I switched gateways.

One day later, I got the same wireless connection problem.  Now this is a new gateway, different manufacturer, different firmware.

Anybody have any ideas what is going on?

0 Likes
Re: Wireless connection problems
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While you are on DSL, you may find this other thread interesting / useful.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/td-p/534451

0 Likes
wnetmw1

Thanks, but the wireless connection doesn't slow down when I have the problem, it dies and doesn't come back.  Also I have no wireless phones and my house is of which I am the only occupant is separated by a interval from other houses.

Are you suggesting that some sort of interference can knock out the router's internal programming (firmware)?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

That would be correct.

0 Likes
wnetmw1

Well, I suppose that is possible if someone is working on an EMP generator in their basement.  I've had this go catatonic at 2 to 3 a.m. in my neighborhood which is all residential.

0 Likes