Would standing the FIOS extender (E3200) upside down on the attic floor be okay?
IMTheNachoManVZ1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a gigabit plan. My router (G3100) is in the basement where my ONT is. It covers most of my house but doesn't quite get my top floor. Verizon sent me the E3200 and I am trying to find the best place to put it.

I have a LAN drop in the attic. 

I could put the E3200 in the attic and connect it by ethernet to the G3100 in the basement. 

But I'm not quite sure how the E3200 antennas are placed. The signal needs to cover the top floor of our house -- below the attic.

Should I:

• Place the E3200 right side up on the attic floor?
  • Place the E3200 upside down on the attic floor?
  • Run the ethernet to the top floor somewhere and place the E3200 in the top floor?
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Would standing the FIOS extender (E3200) upside down on the attic floor be okay?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would orient the extender right side up no matter which level is selected and try to avoid sitting it on the floor.

Some experimentation would be needed to determine which location is optimal with the caveat below.

If the attic is unfinished, dusty, not climate controlled and rarely accessed, I would opt for the level below as dust, dirt & extreme temperatures can shorten the lifespan of electronics.

View solution in original post

Re: Would standing the FIOS extender (E3200) upside down on the attic floor be okay?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would orient the extender right side up no matter which level is selected and try to avoid sitting it on the floor.

Some experimentation would be needed to determine which location is optimal with the caveat below.

If the attic is unfinished, dusty, not climate controlled and rarely accessed, I would opt for the level below as dust, dirt & extreme temperatures can shorten the lifespan of electronics.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I doubt you will find a noticeable difference in different placements of the E3200. For your information, E3200 has all of its antenna located at the top of the plastic shell.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Consumer electronic devices such as the E3200 are designed for use in conditioned spaces.  Unless your attic is conditioned, I'd avoid putting any consumer grade gear up there.  The heat will kill it in no time.

Installing it on the top floor will give you excellent coverage, keep it at normal operating temperatures, and it will be easily accessible.