XP wpa2 connection problem
nails2047
Enthusiast - Level 1

Changing WEP to WPA2 on Actiontec gateway causes XP PC to be unable to connect, resetting to WEP solves this. My Windows 7 PC has no problem with either security protocol. What's up?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: XP wpa2 connection problem
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It has nothing to do with the architecture of the Operating System. Both 32-bit and 64-bit (known as x86 and x64 systems respectively) can use WPA2. Just keep in mind that running in a mixed mode will reduce security of the wireless network. The weakest link will be the device using WPA-TKIP. If you can get WPA2-PSK AES working on the Windows XP machine without an issue, that would be wonderful 🙂

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check to make sure your Windows XP machine has the latest updates (including Service Packs) installed from Microsoft. Open Internet Explorer on the Windows XP machine to http://update.microsoft.com/ and install any updates seen when you perform an Express check for updates. If there is a warning about a service pack being available (Service Pack 2, if you really have not been getting updates, or Service Pack 3 which was released two years ago), install the Service Pack and then install any additional updates seen after the reboot. Reboots will be common, and expect to visit Windows Update a few times until it all empties out. Microsoft released an update in 2005 adding WPA2 support to Windows XP, so it will be included in Service Pack 2, and for sure, Service Pack 3 of Windows XP.

Failing the availability of any updates, provide us the name and model of your wireless card. Also, using the Device Manager (Right click Computer, go to Properties, select the Hardware Tab, click Device Manager), open up the Network Adapters section and locate your Wireless card from the list. Double click on the device, and open up the Driver tab on the window that appears. Give us the Driver version and date for the card.

0 Likes
nails2047
Enthusiast - Level 1

I enabled, 'all WPA, AES or TKIP'. Problem resolved!  I'm still not sure why, wpa2 only, wouldn't work, could it have anything to do with XP being 32 bit and 7 being 64 bit? 

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It has nothing to do with the architecture of the Operating System. Both 32-bit and 64-bit (known as x86 and x64 systems respectively) can use WPA2. Just keep in mind that running in a mixed mode will reduce security of the wireless network. The weakest link will be the device using WPA-TKIP. If you can get WPA2-PSK AES working on the Windows XP machine without an issue, that would be wonderful 🙂

nails2047
Enthusiast - Level 1

That for now is a big if as I have tried every configuration available, however the XP is over 7 yrs old and security really isn't an issue so I'm satisfied as is.

0 Likes