Xbox Live Online Gaming Problem
dinomom42
Enthusiast - Level 1

My son can connect to Xbox Live but can't play the online games.

I called Verizon for help but they only offer free troubleshooting for pc's, not for xbox. Why?

In any case, the tech support person at least didn't charge me to tell me it was a simple problem to fix (but would cost me $30 for him to help me which seems like a rip-off): the factory settings for the modem verizon provided (actiontec gt704wg) have restricted access for some of the ports which requires logging into the modem; however, I'm network illiterate.

As a result, I stumbled on to these forums hoping someone could help.

Help!

Re: Xbox Live Online Gaming Problem
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Log into the ActionTec at http://192.168.1.1/ using one of the follow Usernames and Passwords:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Your Verizon Username and Password

Visit the Firewall section of the ActionTec and verify that the Firewall is not set to Medium or High. The Xbox will prefer for it to be set to Minimum Security or Off. Additionally, you might need to enable UPnP on the ActionTec, whcih can be found inside of the Advanced Options. You could also Port Forward instead of using UPnP, since UPnP is considered a small security risk.

0 Likes
kabernaki
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem, I went to the ActionTec but I couldn't login with my verizon username and password.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried logging in with any of the other usernames and passwords I provided above? You might also need to try the username of admin with the serial number of the router as the password.

0 Likes
klamas77
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did exactly what you said for enabling the upnp and minimizing the security risk, but my son is still not able to play in certain game invites on his xbox live.