Yet another poor dsl performance issue...
cjs2012
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have 3-7Mbps service (on paper, anyway) and never get to 7, I can get 5-6 maybe, but normally the speeds degrade to between 1-1.6 Mbps over a day or so.  Like others, I need to reset the modem to temporarily get my speed back.  Luckily (and this never happens), I called tech support and was able to schedule a visit by the tech early next week.  I kept asking to start a ticket for a tech and after the 6th time the phone person obliged.  Usually, and mysteriously, the line goes dead when you try to elevate the complaint.  I'll be asking some questions.  I'll have a report to post.

(added):  Forgot to add this.  I notice that performance issues here on the forum go unanswered or unresolved but stuff like webspace or email problems usually get a response.  I'd like to know if this is policy or just lack of interest or just that these performance issues are not likely to improve so why bother.  Any input on this?

0 Likes
Re: Yet another poor dsl performance issue...
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cjs2012 wrote:

I have 3-7Mbps service (on paper, anyway) and never get to 7, I can get 5-6 maybe, but normally the speeds degrade to between 1-1.6 Mbps over a day or so.  Like others, I need to reset the modem to temporarily get my speed back.  Luckily (and this never happens), I called tech support and was able to schedule a visit by the tech early next week.  I kept asking to start a ticket for a tech and after the 6th time the phone person obliged.  Usually, and mysteriously, the line goes dead when you try to elevate the complaint.  I'll be asking some questions.  I'll have a report to post.

(added):  Forgot to add this.  I notice that performance issues here on the forum go unanswered or unresolved but stuff like webspace or email problems usually get a response.  I'd like to know if this is policy or just lack of interest or just that these performance issues are not likely to improve so why bother.  Any input on this?

I try my best to respond to such issues regarding speed, but if such a policy is around it likely has to be done as a cost saving measure.

Considering a reboot fixes your speeds temporarily, what modem do you have? I'd like to see the Transceiver statistics for your line both at a time when it is working correctly, and when it is not.

0 Likes
cjs2012
Enthusiast - Level 3

First, are you a Verizon employee or volunteer, or both.

I can get the transceiver stats but it'll be later today or tomorrow.  The modem is a Westell model  6100 that I've had for quite a while but this one works better than the 6100F and GT704WGB I also have.  If there is a better way to go then I'll try it.  The 6100 is being used with a Linksys WRT54GL.  Just for the record, the network both wireless and wired is operating perfectly, wired is CAT5 or better and the modem and router are less than 4 ft from my main computers and wired.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not a Verizon employee, but just a customer who posts at my own capacity.

For the Westell 6100, make sure you can access the web administration page. You might have to temporarily unbridge your modem or plug your computer directly into the modem during a time the connection is slow to get the statistics.

You can get the statistics at the following page usually:

http://192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp

OR by going to http://192.168.1.1/ and by selecting System Monitoring, Advanced Monitoring, followed by Transceiver Statistics.

0 Likes