Re: alter.net issues continue for months - verizon doesn't care
luxedesign

I have managed to escalate this issue FINALLY to the executive customer relations department in the corporate office... I hope that the technician that is supposed to call me is up on his networking, god this has been totally frustrating for months. 

0 Likes
msansnom

Good luck, I'm in the same boat as you and it is frustrating as hell. 😞

0 Likes
nick_d
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good luck... I had an issue a few years ago with ISDN services. Battled with support for a good 5 months - went up as high as the CEO's office and in the end it still wasn't resolved. I was given contradictory answers constantly. Just when I would think some progress was being made someone else would come into the fold and put a kink in the works. Gotta get a congressman in your pocket to get a good response it seems. 

0 Likes
luxedesign

I have isolated the issue and posted to the VZ forums about the problem along with contact information to VZ support. I am glad to figure out the issue is related to a large problem with a routing table push from Cogent L3 to all network providers that caused massive failure. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@luxedesign wrote:

I have isolated the issue and posted to the VZ forums about the problem along with contact information to VZ support. I am glad to figure out the issue is related to a large problem with a routing table push from Cogent L3 to all network providers that caused massive failure. 

Interesting if true.  Verizon would be happy if the blame went somewhere else.

0 Likes
luxedesign

I was having a lot of trouble figuring it all out, I am troubled that the public seemingly does not have an ability to view network operator alerts? 

0 Likes
billstevens2014

"Network operator alerts" -- I don't think things work the way you think they do.

Furthermore, even if "the public" had access to these vague pieces of data you think are just present in a neat little report, they still wouldn't have any idea how to interpret it.

And yes, cogent is trash.

0 Likes
zonver

Any updates on this issue? I believe I'm still experiencing problems, which I've detailed here:

http://serverfault.com/questions/656015/understanding-traceroute-output-to-diagnose-an-issue-with-ve...

Would appreciate any insight. I've been going back and forth with tech support for two weeks. They've sent me a new router (no change), done a bunch of things that they haven't told me about (no change), and they're sending out a technician this Sunday (how could that help?) 

I'm pretty baffled.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

https://www.linode.com/docs/networking/diagnosing-network-issues-with-mtr#analyzing-mtr-reports

That is a tutorial on how to interpret Traceroutes/MTR reports.  It's very good.   I would recommend you download WinMTR and do your tests again.   Traceroutes don't give you a lot of visibility into where a problem might be.  

Your first trace to LAtimes is quite good with round trip MS under 10MS

Your 2nd one to Bing, is similiarly good, under 10MS

your 3rd to Slashdot isn't too bad, it's hits mild traffic at around 40ms, but nj to Chicago, it's about right. 

seitzbg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon's backbone and peering are great when everything is working however it seems they play the netflix game far too often with peers. (Don't care about capacity, want payment to upgrade it, which causes it's users to suffer)

I have 500/500 and the best case i've seen lately is maybe 250Mbps from my colocation in Ashburn, VA (one of the largest peering points in the world) to my FIOS in Delaware (~100 miles).  Depending on the route/peering sometimes it slows down to a few Mbps.  I don't think there is anything we can do as it relates to their core business practices and engineering decisions that are not made by people who frequent this forum. 

If anyone does ever manage to find a backbone engineer for FIOS I'd love to talk to them 🙂

0 Likes