can i add another antenna to the fios modem?
cadman33619
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

i don't get very good wireless signal on the other end of the house and i was wondering if it was possible to add another antenna connected to a long cable that i can stretch across the attic and bring the antenna to the other side of the house.

I've seen this done before but i don't know what kind of modem was used.

any thoughts?

thanks cadman

Re: can i add another antenna to the fios modem?
Bixbyte
Contributor - Level 1

Yes another antenna, go to amazon dot com and research - Wireless universal repeater -

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The FiOS router already has two antennas; one is a small chip inside of the router with metal pathways on it, and the other antenna would be the one attached to the rear of the router. What you can do is purchase a high gain antenna, or a directional antenna if the router is in the corner of your home and see if that works since the rear antenna is detachable. What I would also suggest doing if the antenna isn't an option would be to buy another cheap router, or preferably an access point to extend the wireless range. I'm not a huge fan of Wireless Extenders simply due to the way many of them operate; they cut your speed in half and are limited by the signal they are receiving from the AP you wish to repeat.

What can be done if you don't want to run Ethernet to the location where the second AP would be located, is to simply order another ActionTec MI424WR router from the Internet (they can be bought used online for usually $30), and using a nearby Coaxial jack, set up a MoCa link between your primary router and the second ActionTec router you're using as an access point (and possibly for additional ethernet ports). This method requires some additional configuring, but it does work. There is always the option of using an Access Point with a MoCa Bridge, but this is often a more expensive but easier to set up solution compared to using someone's old ActionTec. Same goes with using Powerline Adapters.

If you don't want to wire up anything or buy anything, the least you can do is to try setting up your current FiOS router to use another channel, preferably one not used by your neighbors. A useful tool called InSSIDer made by Metageek can allow you to see where your neighbors are broadcasting at and allow you to pick which channel you should run your router on. What also helps too, since wireless is an animal that works better in certain locations (Think: TV Antennas), would be to simply relocate your router to another section of the house if possible. Sometimes even moving it to another part of the room it's located in or the router's positioning can do wonders. If you don't have any PC currently connected via Ethernet to the ActionTec, this is a nice possibility. Just keep in mind, if you do move the router it should be in an area where a majority of the wireless usage stays in a vertical path through the walls. Wireless does not like traveling up or down. With that being said, Basements and Attics are terrible places for a wireless access point.

bbeesley2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Smith6612 wrote: Wireless does not like traveling up or down. With that being said, Basements and Attics are terrible places for a wireless access point.

This actually depends on the type of antenna you use.  While this is true of the little stick antenna's that come with most wireless APs, you can purchase antenna's that have different radiating patterns than just 360 degree vertical

I have an antenna in my house from Huber Suhner that is in the shape of a small dome about 6" across and it mounts in the ceiling and radiates downward to provide coverage.  It works much better by focusing the signal in the rooms and looks much nicer too.

http://hubersuhner.com/mozilla/products/hs-p-rf/hs-rf-antennas/hs-p-rf-antennas-indoor/hs-p-rf-ant-o...

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for correcting me there 🙂 I forgot about those kinds of antennas!

Billoskyman
Enthusiast - Level 1

A fine and helpful answer except for this part: "the other [Verizon router] antenna would be the one attached to the rear of the route." Our router definitely does not have such a second antenna, nor even, worse still, any antenna jack for hooking one up.  What do we do in such a case?  Thanks!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which model modem is being used? Verizon's modems do not have external antenna connections. Three possibilities come to mind:

. If possible, relocate the modem to a centralized location so it will deliver a stronger signal to various rooms.

. Purchase extenders (Verizon or other) and locate them in different rooms to provide wider coverage.

. If cable TV is not subscribed to, replace the Verizon router with an alternate brand that has external antennas.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not understanding the question.

First of all, Fios never used modems. The entry point to the premise is called Optical Network Terminal, not modem.

Adding an antenna on a router would require an additional wireless controller on the circuit board. Are you deciding to create an embedded extension to the router?

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes