connect 2 routers wireless
ilpak
Enthusiast - Level 3

i have an extra netgear router wndr3300. i want hardwire this router to my internet tv and send signal from fios router to this netgear router. i think it's possible. just don't know how to do it. and not sure if this netgear router will do it.

thanks

0 Likes
Re: connect 2 routers wireless
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

The physical connection is to run an Ethernet cable from the Verizons routers LAN port (either port 1,2,3, or 4 it doesn't matter)  to your routers WAN or Internet port. That's the physical connection. Then you have to log into your routers admin page and change the IP address of the router if it is set to 192.168.1.1. If its anything else you are fine. That setup is not supported by Verizon so to get help you would need to interface with other customers here or with tech support from your personal router.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's pretty easy to do. I strongly suggest setting up the WNDR3300 as an Access Point, connecting it hardwired to the ActionTec router in this case. It keeps the Wireless bandwidth up, and is also a lot faster.

To set the Netgear up as an access point, visit http://192.168.1.1/ with a PC that is connected to the Netgear, with the Netgear not already connected to the rest of the network. By default, the IP mentioned should take you to a Netgear page where you can log in and change the settings on the Netgear. If not, the Netgear's IP can be found by performing an ipconfig / ifconfig (Mac/*nix) and using the Default Gateway IP address. The login for the Netgear is typically admin/password, unless you've changed it.

When you are logged into the Netgear, do the following:

-Configure the Netgear's Wireless Settings (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, use WPA2 security on this router! Do not go lower or use WPA/WPA2 mixed mode. Do not set 40Mhz width on the 2.4Ghz band) so that it serves as a Wireless access point if you wish to use it as one.

-Disable Universal Plug and Play on the router

-Disable the Firewall

-Disable NAT (if possible)

-Disable the DHCP server

-Backup the Config file and reboot the router via the Admin GUI

From this point, hard wiring the router can be done a few ways. If you have already run a length of CAT5 or CAT6 cabling from the FiOS router to the location where the Netgear will be, go ahead and connect the Netgear to the network by using one of the LAN Ports found on the Netgear. DO NOT USE THE INTERNET PORT IN THIS SETUP.

If you haven't run any cabling, or it's not practical to run cabling, you then have two other options to hard wire the router. You can use a MoCa adapter if there is an available Coaxial port nearby (you can tie into one with a FiOS TV STB installed. A splitter rated higher than 1Ghz is required and should pass signals in both directions) or you have a length of Coaxial which can be installed, make sure this port is connected to the same Coaxial network as the FiOS router is connected to. Connect the MoCa adapter, let it power up and sync up with the FiOS router, and then connect the Netgear to the MoCa adapter using a LAN port on the Netgear. Again, DO NOT USE THE INTERNET PORT IN THIS SETUP.

Lastly, there's the Powerline option. If your power lines in your home are clean enough, you can  use Powerline Adapters which can offer recently good speeds, comparative to that of MoCa over an electrical outlet. These do require your home's wiring to be in good shape, and not something along the lines of Knob and Tube wiring which will not work, but they are pretty plug and play. Connect one end at the FiOS router, connect the Powerline adapter to the FiOS router's LAN Port. The other powerline adapter gets plugged in at another end of your home. Let the two adapters sync up. Once they sync up, connect the Netgear via a LAN Port on the Netgear.

The above is a pretty generic way of doing things. It might not be that simple, especially with MoCa as I believe there are one or two more steps that are needed for MoCa to work.

Now if you want to connect the two routers Wirelessly, I would suggest against this as the repeated signal would give only half of what little bandwidth Wireless G already provides. You'll also be bottlenecking one of the radios of the WNDR3300 at Wireless G speeds. But either way, this can be done. Set up the Netgear the same way as outlined above, however use the WDS function of the Netgear in Client Bridged mode to repeat the network.

hawaiianbrian73
I know that this is an old post but I have a follow up question. I have successfully used the above configuration to connect my Netgear N900 to my Verizon Actiontec. However, there are some features of the Netgear that are not usable when the DHCP is disabled on the Netgear. Specifically the Guest Wireless network which is part of the reason why I bought the router. Is there a way to configure the dual router setup an still be able to keep the DHCP enabled on the Netgear router?
0 Likes
Re: connect 2 routers wireless - Other Options
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

hawaiianbrian73 wrote:
... I have successfully used the above configuration to connect my Netgear N900 to my Verizon Actiontec ... there are some features of the Netgear that are not usable when the DHCP is disabled on the Netgear. Specifically the Guest Wireless network  ... Is there a way to configure the dual router setup an still be able to keep the DHCP enabled on the Netgear router?

If you run the Netgear behind the Actiontec, then probably not.  However there are other configurations that will let you use the Netgear features, although in many instances you must give up some FiOS functionality to do so.  For details and a comparison of these methods, take a look at:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes