does fios internet installation use ethernet from the ONT or Coax?
yairmarx
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am moving into a condo that already has a fios connection. The ONT was installed in 2008 and its running a coax cable into the fios router. 

When I move in, I will sign up for internet only 100/100. Will the technician install a new ONT and run ethernet from the ONT into the condo? I ask because I want to use my own router. 

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: does fios internet installation use ethernet from the ONT or Coax?
jonjones1
Legend

@yairmarxwrote:

Ok cool, I dont expect them to fish ethernet through walls around my home, but they will route one ethernet cable from the ONT into my house at the very least right? Otherwise how do we plug in the router?

Yep they use the closest to the ONT install. Depends on where the ONT is placed.

they will set everything up and test it prior to leaving. It’s a great service. I love ours.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@yairmarxwrote:

I am moving into a condo that already has a fios connection. The ONT was installed in 2008 and its running a coax cable into the fios router. 

When I move in, I will sign up for internet only 100/100. Will the technician install a new ONT and run ethernet from the ONT into the condo? I ask because I want to use my own router. 

Thanks

Installs 100/100 or under use coaxial. However if you ask Verizon they can switch you over to ethernet and then run it from the ONT to the router. They do not connect your customer owned router, neither do or will they run tech support for it.

when you ordered Fios you should have explained what you wanted prior to setting up the install. Router, ethernet other than MOCA so they may not accommodate you if you don’t set it up in advance.

yairmarx
Enthusiast - Level 2

I havent ordered yet, but will tomorrow. Im not worried about them connecting my own router, i can do that by plugging the ethernet in and following the steps in the guide on this forum. 

I just want to make sure they run ethernet from the ONT into my condo. I will be ordering online 100/100 deal. Is there a place I can make the request for ethernet instead of coax/moca, after i place the order, or will I have to call them and tell them after i place my online order?

Thanks for the reply!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.verizon.com/?lid=//global//residential&CMP=OLA_CON_ACQ_11111_NA_20070101_NA_NM20090115_0...

You should be be able to order on line and save the install fee. However for the internet at 100/100 I am a little leery that if you order online it will be able to be completed correctly.

however use the phone number at the link above to call and order.

you can also call 1-800-VERIZON to order, but be very careful when you order. Additionally tell them you are using a customer supplied router. Tell them over and over and tell them you want an ethernet connection.

you will have to as I said complete the activation with your customer owned router.

have the tech stay to watch you get online. He may want to get your service up and running with the router he has on the truck.

yairmarx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much, only problem is I only get the 100/100 for $39.99 if I order online...

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@yairmarxwrote:

Thank you very much, only problem is I only get the 100/100 for $39.99 if I order online...

I was just reading www.dslreports.com where Verizon now does ethernet installs.

for all new connections. Do it seems you are good go.

if not ask the tech nicely and he/she may accommodate your request. Verizon Fios will not fish ethernet through walls around your home. 

yairmarx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok cool, I dont expect them to fish ethernet through walls around my home, but they will route one ethernet cable from the ONT into my house at the very least right? Otherwise how do we plug in the router?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@yairmarxwrote:

Yep they use the closest to the ONT install. Depends on where the ONT is placed.

they will set everything up and test it prior to leaving. It’s a great service. I love ours.

EdwardoZ

They run the ethernet to the nearest "one" what? To the nearest point which the existing coax enters the house? To the nearest outlet? Thanks.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@EdwardoZ wrote:

They run the ethernet to the nearest "one" what? To the nearest point which the existing coax enters the house? To the nearest outlet? Thanks.

Well you are not the original poster I helped, but I will answer your question.

The nearest point from the ONT to where they place the router. 

The ONT is placed either inside your home (basement or Attic or closet) near an electrical outlet. They normally hook the router close by. Either because it’s easier on them or some people are just lazy. In any case it then will be a simple run of one ethernet cable or coaxial (MOCA) to it. Ethernet to the WAN port 

from there Verizon will run it to your set top box if having tv installed. But you will have to have a RJ45 cable (ethernet) run to a different section of the house for lan connections.

0 Likes