dry loop DSL service
calaws1

im new to this forum....... but one thing i've noticedis that there are very few comments or replys to the product of dry loop.......

i just wanted to know if any one has any advice on the product and also does the cost of dry loop fluctuate as we've all seen on our residential phone bills..... and yes it's true..... if there's a storm or even a rain shower ur DSL could be down for hours...... even with the use of surge protectors......

if any one can read this post in the many that r here please let me know how u feel on the issue......

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: dry loop DSL service
HelpDesk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi calaws1

Dry-loop is a service which provides only internet so you sont have to worry about the charges.

You would definelty not have high bills as its a fixed monthly rental.However the first bill is a bit higher as it would be having a charged for the Modems/shipping etc.After that whateever wuold be it would be smooth till the plan exipres.

0 Likes
larryw9999
Contributor - Level 1

calaws1 wrote:

im new to this forum....... but one thing i've noticedis that there are very few comments or replys to the product of dry loop.......

i just wanted to know if any one has any advice on the product and also does the cost of dry loop fluctuate as we've all seen on our residential phone bills..... and yes it's true..... if there's a storm or even a rain shower ur DSL could be down for hours...... even with the use of surge protectors......

if any one can read this post in the many that r here please let me know how u feel on the issue......

Thanks

Dry loop just makes reference to the fact that the dsl service is being provided over copper phone lines that are not also providing plain old telephone service. Typically, rain or storms can have a negative effect on the copper phone lines and your dsl service can be effected. Either by slowed down speeds or no service at all. I've had DSL for years and don't recall ever having the service out for hours after a storm.

Verizon's internet service via DSL (or also known as High Speed Internet) has limitations and is susceptible to issues associated with the fact that the transport is copper wires.

Verizon's internet service FiOS internet has much more bandwidth and is less susceptible to issues because the transport is fiber optic cables. It's ability to transmitt signals with low loss over distances and it's ability to be less picky based on weather or rain conditions allows for faster internet speeds.

0 Likes
ALF
Enthusiast - Level 1
As others have noted, dry loop service is simply DSL over phone lines without the phone service itself. I have had Verizon DSL service for several years along with phone service, and I recently changed over to dry loop service by canceling my phone service. As more users transition to wireless only or VOIP, I think that we will see more homes with dry loop. I see no difference in my DSL service after changing over, and I have never experienced loss of DSL or phone service during storms. Also, dry loop service is at a fixed monthly rate, which is generally a little more than the cost of adding DSL to phone service. If you make a 1- or 2-year commitment, the monthly cost will be slightly decreased.
0 Likes