dsl drops
kjthornburg
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have a problem with our dsl service dropping several times a day for times of as little as one minute to up to 45 minutes.

It happens at various times during the day but is particularly bad between 11:00 A.M. and 1:00 P.M..  We have checked the usual things such as filters installed on phones and the gateway being connected directly into a phone jack with no splitter between it and the phone jack..

There is no static on our phone lines.  I hesitate to call the Verizon dsl customer service phone number because it is an intermittent problem.

Any suggestions?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL drops
kjthornburg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Our DSL service failed Dec. 26.  I did not have time to call customer service until yesterday.  A technician came to our home today and worked for three hours to solve the problem.  He installed new cable from the telephone pole to our home.  He said our cable was very old (our home was built in 1957) and was in bad shape.  He also installed a box on the outside of the house where we can test the line.  He said that any work done after 1987 would have included the installation of such a box.   We assume that no telephone line work was done here since then.  Best of all, he installed a phone jack that is dedicated to DSL.  We will not need filters on our phones now.

I am very pleased with the service that I received.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: dsl drops
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

#3 Do you have an alarm system in your house that is connected to the phone line?

0 Likes
fanof3

I have had this same problem for WELL OVER 1 year. This happened on a daily basis and got to the point where I wanted to throw my modem/router/computer out the window.  I'd lose signal and have to go upstairs to unplug the modem and router for 30 seconds to reset and then all would be fine...until it happened again. Sometimes I'd get a whole 24 hours of service but most days it drops out 25 to 30 times a day.  Forget about calling customer service; absolutely of NO help  They either blame my computer which is funny because I have 3 computers and all have the same problem (1 PC and 2 Macs), or I just can't understand anything they are saying to me, seeing as all the CS reps I speak to are in India (and this is not a swipe at anyone, I'm as liberal as they come).

Cancelling right now is not an option as we have DirecTV and to get cable modem is too costly since we're not a cable customer.

So finally I thought the problem was solved when through a friend I spoke to a Verizon salesperson at a party who offered to help. She had a tech look into the problem and they came back to me and said the reason why there were so many drops is because we had the 3.0 Mbps download/768 Kbps up package and we are capable of getting 7.1 Mpbs which most likely will fix the drop.  Sounds fishy to me but ok....So I said fine, upgrade, as long it stops me from having to deal with this dropout **bleep**. That was September and lo-and-behold, it seemed to fix the problem.  We still had some drops...maybe once or twice a week but nothing like it was in the past.

Then yesterday, all of a sudden, I was working on my computer for over 2 hours, when it just suddenly dropped.  I tried to fix it and got the message that there was a problem with my Doman Name Servers. I've tried everything to fix but nothing I've done can fix this. I have had to resort to finding an open WIFI connection in the neighborhood to send this message.

I'm so frustrated and annoyed with Verizon.

0 Likes
jeffsupersaiyan

if your modem gets hot turn it off for about 15mins let it cool down. or move it to a cooler location

0 Likes
kjthornburg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actiontec Gateway model no. GT704-WG that I purchased from Verizon.  We do not have an alarm system in our home.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

In the router go to System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transciever Stats

and post the info from there.

0 Likes
Re: DSL drops
Cora
Contributor - Level 1
I also have been experiencing continuous problems with Verizon's DSL broadband connection (Westell 6100). This morning around 1 AM not only was my connection dropping for up to 10 minutes, when I called Verizon, once the Spanish instructions were completed, their line went dead. This occurred 3 times. I turned the Westell box off numerous times, nothing. I also attempted to start a Chat with Verizon's Tech department but of course, a stable connection is necessary for that. Finally around 3 AM the internet connection became stable. However, I am so tired of this.
0 Likes
spinoza

I get DSL drops every day now, several times per day.  The linksys is fine. I turn off my old Westell modem for fifteen seconds, but many times this does not work.  But I do usually manage to reconnect within 30 minutes. Oddly, my WPA status resets to a security code even though I had it set to disable security.  So I have to ethernet (hard wire) connect, use the linksys url (192.168.1.1) to take off the WPA security. I believe it is a signal problem, but I will not go through the tedium and humiliation of calling their customer service.  It is time for me to look at alternatives unless verizon issues an advisory about this problem.

0 Likes
kjthornburg
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also hesitant to call customer service.  The service drops many times a day from the time I turn on my pc until I log off late in the evening.  One odd fact is that it consistently drops every few minutes between the hours of 11:00AM and 1:00PM every day, seven days a week.  I have learned to avoid doing my banking and bill paying during those hours.  I don't think a customer service rep would believe that.  I seems as something in our area happens during those hours to interfere with transmission over  the telephone lines.

One time I could not connect at all and I did call customer service.  After doing the usual things they suggest, the rep said a technician would come to my home the next day.  I received a phone call the next morning stating that my service had been restored.  The tech did not come to my home so the problem was obviously a problem with lines in the area.

0 Likes
fanof3

I'm still having problems.  We lost our service from 2pm yesterday and it didn't come back until today at noon. What a joke.  It keeps telling me there is a problem with the Domain Name Servers which from what I can tell, is something on their end.  Forget about trying to call CS...

I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet, cancel and pay out my arse for Comcast cable modem since I'm a DirecTV cust.

0 Likes