dsl light blinking and phone has no dial tone
lanzerx
Enthusiast - Level 2
two days ago it was raining hard and my internet suddenly stopped working.the dsl light continues to blink sometimes I would be able to get online with reduced speed for a few minutes, then disconnect. my phone would have a dial tone, but with a lot of static. right now there is no dial tone at all. I've tried different phone jacks for both my modem and phone, but the problem still persists.I called verizon and at the time my connection was working at reduced speed so they told me it was a phone problem.
now my grandparents who live downstairs on the first floor of my house, they use verizon as well but they only have a phone plan.their phone works fine.does anyone know if this problem is inside my home or outside?thank you.
0 Likes
Re: dsl light blinking and phone has no dial tone
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Find your NID and check if the phone line works there.  If it doesn't, it's your wires.  If it doesn't, it's Verizon's wires.  Lots of detail here:

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/phone/homephone/general+support/phone+troubleshooting/c...

Good Luck

lanzerx
Enthusiast - Level 2
unfortunately my NID box is about 40 feet high on top of a pole. thanks though.
any other suggestions or ideas appreciated.
0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's odd.  NIDs are supposed to be installed so they are accessible to the customer.

Decades ago, there was no such thing as a NID.  If your wires are that old, that could be part of the problem.

If you are handy with tools and low voltage wires, you can do this test without a NID.  Find an easy access point to the wire where you can disconnect your home from the Verizon network.  This could be inside or outside.  Then connect a phone to the Verizon wires and see how well it works.  This may involve some cutting and splicing of wires and test phone jacks.

Of course, you could always call Verizon and have them fix it.  This time, call phone repair instead of DSL repair.  Tell them you have noise on the line.

Good Luck