dsl spped
clanmackay

I have tested my internet spped several times using various test programs.  The spped rating is consistantly rated F, slower than 89% of dsl users.  I cannot stream anything without waitng and my email routinely takes 3-5 minutes to load.  I am using a new Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. There are no viruses and I keep the system running at top speed.  Why is dsl so slow and why does it get slower when the kids come home after 3:00?

0 Likes
Re: dsl speed
Crowbar1

You have my sympathy.  I too suffer from very low DSL speeds particularly between 8 and 11 PM.  I have seen download speeds as low as 200 bytes/second.  It all boils down to the fact that Verizon doesn't have enough servers on line to carry the load.  My guess is that the only solution is to find another provider.

0 Likes
Re: dsl speed
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To only

@Crowbar wrote:

You have my sympathy.  I too suffer from very low DSL speeds particularly between 8 and 11 PM.  I have seen download speeds as low as 200 bytes/second.

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace) will contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from you modem?

If you don't know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from your modem:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to your modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
Re: dsl spped
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So, the DSL works fine when no one is home, and fails to work correctly during times when kids and families are home from school/work? Sounds like congestion to me.

If you could, please provide a speed test during a time the connection is running poorly. We can get you fixed up once we determine for sure it's congestion and not something else going on. I would also check to make sure the slow-downs on your connection are not due to someone using perhaps a Wireless network you run.

0 Likes