enhanced internet snails pace
ready2cancel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought I would post this before switching to Comcast. I recently upgraded to "enhanced". I am told the best speed that I could purchase was 1.1 to 3.0 mbps. After the "upgrade" I went from .79 to .97. I called the off shore support, and actually spoke to an intelligent rep. After about 30 minutes my speed was 2.84. I was thrilled.

Each day for the past week the speed has dropped, and now I am at 1.28. I tried calling support again, and after nearly and hour on the phone "reading the script" I asked for a supervisor or another rep. I wasw disconnected with no call back.

There is no one that you can talk with to explain your problem to. What happened in Verizon's Co that cut my speed?

I can't purchase Fios, and I can't talk with a live person. Is going to Comcast my only solution?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: enhanced internet snails pace
ready2cancel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for taking the time to write the follow up note. I notice you said "when I had Verizon". I imagine that you got wise too. I don't need to get modem results and post them, since my DSL modem is as useless as my ex Verizon internet. I have been using my DSL modem as a paperweight since getting Comcast.

I now have 30 mbps, and no headaches. All I wanted from Verizon was 3.0 mbps, and some customer service. I couln't get either. Anyway, thanks for the reply. I fixed it my self, just unplugged Verizon and reset with Comcast.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kew2
Enthusiast - Level 2
Likely
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
ready2cancel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for taking the time to write the follow up note. I notice you said "when I had Verizon". I imagine that you got wise too. I don't need to get modem results and post them, since my DSL modem is as useless as my ex Verizon internet. I have been using my DSL modem as a paperweight since getting Comcast.

I now have 30 mbps, and no headaches. All I wanted from Verizon was 3.0 mbps, and some customer service. I couln't get either. Anyway, thanks for the reply. I fixed it my self, just unplugged Verizon and reset with Comcast.

0 Likes