extending my wireless signal
diablo11
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have a wireless router western 7500 (DSL) at the front of my house. there aren't any antennas on the exterior of the unit so I cant add a directional antenna. Ethernet wiring is run to the back of the house, run as t568A. I would like to know what I can do at the Ethernet port at the back of the house to extend wireless further into the backyard? If i use a another wireless router will that cause conflicts with the western 7500? I do have a Dlink DIR 615. Or Do I buy an access point unit? Or can I move the western 7500 to the back of the house then use a dsl modem at the front with ethenet access cause my ethernet panal is there? not sure what's the best option or what if any are workable thanks
0 Likes
Re: extending my wireless signal
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The quick and easy way to do this is to simply grab an Access Point and plug it into the Ethernet, or to take any wireless router and disable any routing related functions in it so that the 7500 takes care of it. With most Wireless routers for example, while they all may not have options to set up network access through the WAN port, if you attach the Network cable to one of the four LAN ports of the router after you disable DHCP, DNS Relay, Firewalls, etc on the second router, all data will be routed by the Westell. 

One thing that also comes in handy to allow you nearly uninterrupted wireless access as you roam throughout the house is to set up both of the Wireless routers/Westell and Access Point with the same SSID, and same security type (I strongly suggest WPA2-AES!), along with the same Master Key. Only thing that should be different is what channels each wireless radio runs off of, such as the Westell being on Channel 1, and the second router/AP being on Channel 11. Most devices when the signal reaches a certain point should be able to switch between the routers at will and connect despite different PSKs being used for each router.